Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

2002 CRV Transmission Oil Cooler needed?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
ShadyTreeGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 CRV Transmission Oil Cooler needed?

My best friend in Florida has a 02 CRV and is considering towing a small trailer with all his worldly belongings as he travels the US on occasion, maybe twice a year. U-haul down there suggested he get a class 3 hitch for a 5x8 footprint trailer, given his volume of stuff. The CRV is only a 4 banger and I told him that if he is going to tow trailers around on anything other than flat ground over short distances , that he invest in an auxiliary transmission oil cooler and transmission oil temp gauge .

I'd hate for the tranny to bite the bullet somewhere in the Rocky mountains and then him being SOL. On the plus side, he will operate it responsibly with regard to not taking extended uphill climbs under full load in 100 degree heat, pulling over for over temp conditions, etc.

I've been perusing the net and have found little info that is directly applicable. I have personally used oil coolers with great success, but primarily with larger, off-road type vehicles.

My query to you all is:
Should I dissuade him from even considering the class 3 for this vehicle?

I'm also figuring that with occasion towing , maybe he just needs only a temp gauge and being extra careful--- Any recommendations?

Anybody have any insights or personal experiences regarding the CRV and towing?

Thanks all,
STG
Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny the stock trailer hitch package for a crv dose not come with a trans cooler. But a pilot or rigline come with a trans cooler and ps cooler. Personally I think thy are a good idea. If I remember rite the towing capacities are on a little sticker on the trailer hitch. If he exceeds this max weight standers he is asking for trouble.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
ShadyTreeGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Thanks for the prompt 411 Fuse.

I'm going to relay to him to go for it. Didn't realize that the CRV hadn't an oil cooler already. But I think he's getting the message that you can't push the engineering limits no matter what after-market items you install.

STG