Notices

95 gsr: coolant in cylinder 1!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 AM
primetime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 gsr: coolant in cylinder 1!

Here is the situation, I rebuilt my gsr motor. it has jdm itr pistons, LS rods and crank, Buddyclub spec 3 cams, bc valvespring and retainers, ARP headstuds, S2 intake manifold, 68mm TB. There is no crack in the head or sleeves and the valves seals are brand new. as well as no Compression loss.

when i first started the motor and let it warm up i got white smoke out of the tailpipe i.e. coolant in the cylinder(s). i then took the spark plugs out a minute later the same white smoke from just Cylinder 4. so i went and bought a new head gasket, sprayed it with copperspray and got the same result. so now i removed the head and brought the machine shop and had it planed, i bought a 3rd headgasket but this time didn't copperspray it! i put it all back together and started it and let it warm up and this time got smoke from just cylinder 1 after removing all of the spark plugs.

So, should i copperspray the gasket this time? any other suggestions??
Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using dowpins? I would check the block deck with a straight edge. I may be warped. Or maybe you have grit on the gasket surfaces or a bur holding it up. One of my friends had a problem with some bracket catching one the back side of the block holding the head up. Just look for all the dumb stuff. You may have a vac line mixed up with a coolant line. All kinds of crap can happen so just think of all the things you haven't already done.

A good gasket surface and a good gasket should not need coper spray.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
primetime

so now the coolant is back to cylinder 4 and not 1 i'm starting to think that it's one of the coolant lines that connect to the intake manifold.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Fuse

Could be. Look at all the parts the coolant runs threw. Some times it runs from the engine to the throttle body (Fast idle thermo valve) to the iac and back. Just depends what you have. If you get one coolant line mixed up with a vac line or have small cracks in coolant related parts or not sealing rite you can get coolant into the intake. If I remember rite some of the gsrs run coolant threw the intake gasket too. My look at that also.

I would be nice if you got a coolant pressure tester. I like the simple ones http://www.stant.com/images/Stant/ezlit/12270Tester.jpg then you may be able to spot the leak. Plus use the proses of elimination by plugging and taking parts off. It has a little pressure gauge you can watch.

More then likely its something stupid like the wrong gasket thats how it always works out for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Sounds like a shit-ton of unnecessary work. I feel your pain.

How you are determining which cylinder is allegedly burning coolant? How long are you letting it warm up for?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
primetime

Originally Posted by Provocateur
Sounds like a shit-ton of unnecessary work. I feel your pain.

How you are determining which cylinder is allegedly burning coolant? How long are you letting it warm up for?
i'm letting it warm up for about 5 minutes. i shut the car off and immediately pull the spark plugs, i'm getting thick white, closer to a gray coming out of the 4th cylinder.

my friend came over and did a pressure test and a compression test and everything was fine. but what we did find out is that it's not coolant burning but oil! inside my intake manifold it is completely covered in oil and it's being sucked into the cylinders but it's not burning blue! now i'm looking at the PCV system. maybe the valve is bad, we'll see! any other suggestions???
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
primetime

are there any diagrams that i could look at that would show me the correct connections for the pcv hoses??
Old 05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Fuse

Just take the pcv hoses off and see if the smoke gos away (plug the vac leak). You don't have a turbo do you? If you do it may be the shaft seals. I cant think of any other way oil is getting into your intake. Maybe intake valve seals.

The pcv valve runs into your intake this is the suction side. The fresh air side gos to the intake tubing before the throttle body.