Notices

car question V.battery?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Tark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car question V.battery?

So the other day i was about to leave for dinner, try starting the car and NOTHING. so i calll a cab and ask him to boost it cause it was evedent that was the problem. boost the car starts fine, runs no problem come back from dinner not a problem. I ran it for a while thinking the Batt would just recharge.

then a week after same problem i noticed that the negative batt cable was loose so i tighten it get a boost. figure the battery wouldnt charge well cause the cable was loose. so same thin boost and on my way.

Yesterday againt same problem... now i dont get it.

Once it run theirs no problem i can start it a couple of time after but if i leave my car in the parking for a couple of day it just wont start.

Should i just change the battery?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

why you never got the battery tested?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:53 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

could be a couple of things:

1. alternator is going and not charging the battery properly
2. battery has gone to shit
3. theres a short or something drawing on the battery even with the vehicle off

first thing i say is take it to a parts store or service shop and ask them to test the battery. a good store should be able to test for free on the vehicle, also many of them can perform a basic alternator test on the vehicle. any quality shop will do both with a quality charger for a nominal fee.

if both pass the tests ... most likely something drawing juice.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:53 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

How old is the battery? They should be changed every 3 or 4 years pending weather conditions.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 AM
XScarAudio
///o\\\///o\\\

How old is the battery? In the element, it lasted about 3 years and would no longer hold a charge. To my understanding, it is really common at about that age.

First, take Phat's suggestion.

Personally, if it is 3 years old + I'd say replace it anyway..... $50-100 worth not being stranded IMO
Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by rebeld
could be a couple of things:

1. alternator is going and not charging the battery properly
2. battery has gone to shit
3. theres a short or something drawing on the battery even with the vehicle off

first thing i say is take it to a parts store or service shop and ask them to test the battery. a good store should be able to test for free on the vehicle, also many of them can perform a basic alternator test on the vehicle. any quality shop will do both with a quality charger for a nominal fee.

if both pass the tests ... most likely something drawing juice.
but if alternator is gone then the car wouldnt run for veryy long right?

Originally Posted by NOPD
why you never got the battery tested?
never had the time to do it until today and i thought the problem was solve last time. will go today

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
How old is the battery? They should be changed every 3 or 4 years pending weather conditions.
had the car for 3 years bought it used so dont know how old the battery is. just didnt feel like goin ove rhtere getting it tested instead of just buying a new one and installing it myself. but i guess i dont have a choice...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

it takes 5 minutes to test it, doesn't seem to arduous, rather than wasting your money for a new battery if the old one still works.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by Tark
but if alternator is gone then the car wouldnt run for veryy long right?
thats why i said "going" not "gone"

the alternator could still be outputting but not enough to charge the battery AND run the systems. it could be providing just enough to run the car only

tark find a decent parts store ... most will test and replace batteries free of charge. thats a company policy for our stores, if a customer asks you to change it and you have time ... you have to.

i believe autozone and advance both have free replacement policies ... as much as i hate to send you to a place like that ... i dont have any stores in canada to send to you
Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 AM
XScarAudio
///o\\\///o\\\

That is misleading also. A battery can get so bad that the car STILL dies trying to recharge a dead battery.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by XScarAudio
That is misleading also. A battery can get so bad that the car STILL dies trying to recharge a dead battery.
what is misleading?

test the battery, if its bad replace it. a vehicle with a shot battery that continues to operate on jumps and off the alternator alone will have a shot alternator before long.