Notices

92 Accord, won't start when it's cold.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 Accord, won't start when it's cold.

92 Accord EX automatic, 195k miles, won't start in cold weather, usually around freezing. Starts fine when its warm out. Got the battery/alt checked out, they're fine. I'm basically looking for any leads. Is it possible the fuel lines are freezing and it's not getting the gas to start? The engine cranks, and sometimes almost starts, will buck a bit, then that's it.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
Dark
Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I'd probably try a fuel additive and then topping up the tank with what you're confident is good gas.

I've actually read that the main relay can act up in cold weather also - unlike the usual symptoms where the car won't get fuel (whether b/c fuel pump doesn't run or injectors) in hot weather, often shortly after being driven. Can't say for sure on that, my civic's relay only acts up when it's warm out.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Maybe I should try something like Iso-Heet or something? The car has a full tank, and I'm pretty sure it's clean gas. I was told by at Advance that it's possible the fuel filter might be clogged up or something as well?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:57 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Yeah, I'd try some sort of additive like that just to help rule that out as the cause, and b/c it's cheap and easy. Since the tank is full you could just top it off after adding Iso-Heet or whatever w/ a small amount of gas (what will fit) to help it mix quicker.

I'm not sure if the filter would be the cause, but I suppose even w/out water in the gas, a clogged filter could give more of a problem in the cold. If it's as easy to replace as my civic (of same year) you might just want to give it a try if you don't know when it was last replaced.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Tedmond

clogging a fuel filter is hard to do. If you had a dirty filter, you would have noticed this ongoing problem a long time ago. I suggest you look under the drivers dash to the left, there is the Cruise control box, remove it from its location and you will see the MAIN RELAY. this is problematic in hondas due to weather.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:06 AM
Joshatdot

I would check Main Relay. Turn your key to On, but do not try to start the engine. Do you hear a *click* when the Check Engine Light goes off? Buckle you lap belt too so you can hear the click better, as the car will BEEP like 6 times if you don't. If you don't hear any clicks you need to get a new Main Relay, or save your self about $65 and reflow the solder on your "broken" one.

Last edited by Joshatdot; 03-08-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Joshatdot
I would check Main Relay. Turn your key to On, but do not try to start the engine. Do you hear a *click* when the Check Engine Light goes off? Buckle you lap belt too so you can hear the click better, as the car will BEEP like 6 times if you don't. If you don't hear any clicks you need to get a new Main Relay, or save your self about $65 and reflow the solder on your "broken" one.
I was actually planning on doing the re-flow method to mine this weekend if it's nice enough, some say you should always remove the old and re-solder, but for what they cost I'd rather try the $5 (for soldering iron) method or get a new one.

One good thing about it being an Accord that he's dealing with is that on those cars, if the main relay acts up, it usually (some would say always, can't confirm) prevents the fuel pump from priming, whereas on my civic it can supposedly allow the pump to prime (so you hear it and think everything's fine) but not allow the injectors to fire.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

I'll head out and check it soon! I love soldering :hsughr:
Old 03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

I do hear the click.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Joshatdot

Wait till the car wont start...see if you hear the click or not.

My car had random intermittent non-starts on warm days. Most of the time it clicked & started fine.