Notices
Other Honda & Acura News Automotive news from around the globe.

Exhaust Notes - Comments, Questions, Smart Remarks

Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust Notes - Comments, Questions, Smart Remarks

Exhaust Notes - Comments, Questions, Smart Remarks
Our #1 Most Often Asked Question, Should I Boost?

I have a '91 Integra with the basic mods, which are headers, exhaust, intake, cams, throttle body and ignition. I want more power (from a turbo) but I still want to pass California smog. Is this possible? And if so, which turbo? Or would a supercharger be my best bet?

-Gary B / HT Inbox
There are two answers. The first deals with reality, the second a hypothetical world. The first answer: Unfortunately, you're out of luck. The CARB-legal GReddy and Edelbrock turbo kits and Jackson Racing supercharger kits you've probably heard of are legal only for '94-'01 Integras, not older, pre-OBD models. There's simply no smog-legal turbo kit you can put on your car and then waltz into your local California smog shop and expect to pass visual inspection. Sorry.
The second answer: Fortunately, such turbo kits will bolt onto your Second Generation Integra's B-series relatively easily. With a bit of intercooler piping modification and creative wiring, they'll both work. And to the not-so-keen smog station employee, those CARB-approved stickers just may appear to belong, but this is all hypothetical. The nice thing about turbocharged vehicles and California smog testing-if there is such a thing-is that they're loaded onto the smog dyno in such a way that doesn't allow for engine speeds high enough to produce boost. Test procedures include part throttle runs at 15 mph and again at 25 mph. If you're making boost here, well, you won't be. So hypothetically, there's no reason for a well-tuned turbocharged Honda to not pass your basic California emissions test, whether you've got an '01 or a '91. More often than not, testing failures are due to improper tuning and important missing parts like catalytic converters and charcoal canisters. But again, this is all hypothetical.

-Aaron Bonk, Technical Editor, Turbo Magazine
D-Box on B-Block?

I have a '91 Honda CRX with a d15 non-VTEC motor and I have a B16A to put in it. I was wondering if the transmission that is already in my car would bolt up to my B-series motor?

-Bryce Parisien / Williston, N. Dak.
The short answer is, no it won't. There are some companies, like Bisimoto Engineering, that are making adapter plates to bolt the H-series engines to the B and D-series transmissions but not for B-series engines to D-series transmissions. To get the two to bolt up would require at a minimum, a custom flywheel, custom transmission adapter plate, custom driver's side mount and alternator relocation. Unless you can do the fabrication and machining yourself, for what you'd pay you could probably afford a new B-series transmission, clutch and mount kit.

-Brian Gillespie, Hasport Performance
Super-D Intake Manifold
I have a question about the Super-D (Aug. '07). In your pic you show an auto Y8 manifold. Is this just for illustration, or is this the manifold you used? I thought you couldn't use an auto manifold in a manual car. So if it is, how did you do it? I have a 90 EF that I am building a mini-me engine for. I'm using the stock block D15B2 and a Y8 head. I have both a manual Z6 manifold and an auto Y8. I would like to run the Y8 because I already know it flows better, however, I was told being auto, it wouldn't work.

-Bob Bedinghaus / Eaton, Ohio
Yup, we used an automatic manifold. As I'm sure you already know Bob but for those who don't, the difference between the auto manifold and the manual manifold is the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). The auto uses a three wire valve and the manual uses the more common two wire. Since our Super-D was strictly a race engine and no one cared if it idled at 800 or 1,500 rpm, we just did away with the IACV.
BTW, if you are looking for the D16Y8 manifold and can only find an automatic version, it can be modified to accept the two wire IACV. The mounting bosses are cast. You'll just need to drill and tap them.

-Brian Gillespie, Hasport Performance
E. John Thawley Iii Fan Club

The reason I am writing is to express my dismay over the absence of Mr. Thawley's column in the newest issue. That column is the first page I go to every time my new issue arrives. Was this month's absence just a fluke and will return next month, or are they gone indefinitely? I hope it was just a one-time occurrence, as his editorial (for me) sets the tone of the rest of the magazine

-Ryan S / HT Inbox
I fired him! If I never hear Thawley ranting about non-VTECs and beater race cars again, it'll be too soon! The long-winded blowhard has been exiled to the desert. In the September issue he suffered in triple-digit temperatures while shooting both the Cover Story and the American Gymkhana event. This month the lonely outcast is responsible for the photography seen in his story on Steve DiMartino's F20 powered Lakester. While Thawley's skills with the camera are far to valuable to get rid of him altogether, I was at least able to axe his column under the guise of creating diversity in perspective through "rotating columns." I feel this was a great decision since nobody liked his column anyway.

-AH
I was writing in to commend Thawley for his article in the Aug. '07 issue "A Case For Non-VTECS." In today's culture VTEC is considered the norm. Like a must have for all LS's and B20's. VTEC is an awesome technology and is one of the many reasons why Honda is where it is in today's tuner society. But, you'll look at most articles or featured rides in most magazines and see nothing but VTEC heads when the hood is popped. Like, non-VTECs aren't around anymore. I'm appreciative to Thawley for being steadfast with his appreciation for staying "old school." I'm appreciative to Honda Tuning for allowing people to express their opinion on such a grand scale. It's good to see a non-VTEC build or feature car here and there. I've experienced the VTEC and WAS going back and forth on whether or not to swap one on my b20z. But, then I picked up your latest issue and got that motivation I needed to go with my gut over going with what nearly every person in the world would recommend to do. Give Thawley a bonus for an awesome article and then start a nasty non-VTEC project race engine build or something.

-Matt Au / Nottingham, Md.
I couldn't agree with you more. Thawley's ability to stick to his guns in the face of normalcy is what makes him so unique. Unfortunately, some idiot replaced his monthly column with "rotating columns" or something like that, where the many different contributors to the magazine will get the chance to speak their piece. In this issue our other regular photographer, Rodrez, shares his thoughts on Web communities. Don't worry Thawley fans, John will be back up to bat soon. In the meantime I'm going to find the nimrod responsible for this outrage and fire him.- Andy Hope, who has enjoyed his three-issue stint as the guest editor of HT, but must now get back to the racetrack. I wish you all the best.
Got questions, comments, love or hate? Send your letteres to:
* e-mail:editorial@hondatuningmagazine.com
*snail mail:
2400 E. Katella Ave. Suite 1100
Anaheim, CA 92806

Photo Gallery: Exhaust Notes - Comments, Questions, Smart Remarks - Honda Tuning Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...