Notices

EGR tube kit

Old 12-17-2007, 06:08 PM
srikid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR tube kit

I have a 99 Accord V6 with 123,000 miles and currently have P1491 and have been doing some research about how to resolve this. I have decided to order the EGR Pipe kit that is mentioned in the Service Bulletin and will attempt to do it myself(not sure if that is a good idea since I have never done anything like this).

Does anyone know where I can purchase the the kit (EGR Pipe Kit: P/N 06175-P8C-A00, H/C 6912125)? I can not find it on any internet Honda Dealers(Majestic Honda).

I have also heard that the kit is not necessary. I've read that you can buy i believe it was a 3/8 bit and drill it out with? Anyone have any insight on this?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take off you intake and unclog the egr pipe. The clog is close to the throttle body. It will be filled with carbon. You may not even need the erg valve.

To do it all correctly you would need the properly sized reamer and the pipe kit, it just comes with a new throttle body gasket, a s.s. tube you put in the egr pipe and a new egr valve.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:43 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

DO NOT purchase the kit. I have talked to several Honda techs about this and they say that it does not make a bit of difference.

The EGR is extremely simple to clean, it's been written about many times on here. As soon as you get the intake manifold off you'll know where it is. I used q-tips and carb cleaner to clean mine out.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 AM
srikid

Based on your responses, Im gonna assume that I do not need to purchase the kit or drill anything.

So I guess I will just follow the directions on the service bulletin to get to the intake manifold and find the clog and just clean it out myself with Q-tips and carb cleaner? Will that be enought to correct the problem and clear the CEL?

About how long will this take me?(Please remember that I have never done this but I am not a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff)
Do I need any special tools?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciated it. I refuse to take it to the dealer to charge me $300 for something I can fix for like $20.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by srikid
Based on your responses, Im gonna assume that I do not need to purchase the kit or drill anything.

So I guess I will just follow the directions on the service bulletin to get to the intake manifold and find the clog and just clean it out myself with Q-tips and carb cleaner? Will that be enought to correct the problem and clear the CEL?

About how long will this take me?(Please remember that I have never done this but I am not a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff)
Do I need any special tools?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciated it. I refuse to take it to the dealer to charge me $300 for something I can fix for like $20.
It's extremely easy to fix. I did it when I was 18 and had never done anything like it before. Just follow the directions. Remember to get new throttle body gaskets and whatever other gaskets it said to replace.

It probably took me 3-4 hours to do, but I thoroughly cleaned my throttle body and intake manifold when I did it. The second time I did it (just for preventative maintenance) was about 60-70k miles later and it wasn't even clogged at all. That took me not even an hour.

Trust me, when you take off the intake manifold you'll see it. It's the port completely clogged with carbon deposits. Remember to also clean the port in the intake manifold that it mates with.

As far as the CEL, you may also need to replace the EGR valve, which is about $150. But you'll know for sure after you clean out the ports.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Fuse

Don't drop any bolts down the intake. Thats all.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 AM
srikid

Thanks alot for your help guys. I have to find a good day to do this cause its pretty cold outside and I dont have a garage.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 AM
srikid

Can anyone please tell me exactlywhich gaskets I need to purchase when performing the EGR port cleaning job mentioned above??
Old 12-20-2007, 05:07 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

It says very clearly on the TSB which ones you need to replace.