Notices

Sway bar question

Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 AM
DOZ5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar question

How do you know your sway bar is in need of replacing? The car is swaying too much?

Ok, What is too much?

Does the sway bar bushing are a cause of sway bar replacement?

TIA
Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the bushings are bad, that normally doesn't ruin the bar itself. You have to look at all that stuff to figure out what's actually wrong.

"Sway" bar is just a steel bar bent up to fit your car. It's pretty tough. It seems more likely that the bushings are bad, or the end-links are bad.

WHY do you suspect it might be bad?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 AM
DOZ5

If the bushings are bad, that normally doesn't ruin the bar itself. You have to look at all that stuff to figure out what's actually wrong.

"Sway" bar is just a steel bar bent up to fit your car. It's pretty tough. It seems more likely that the bushings are bad, or the end-links are bad.

WHY do you suspect it might be bad?
The car feels like it is swaying to much when I take turns. It is really little bit.

Generally I posted to see what other people have done and what problems they incurred.

A friend took his Dodge truck to the dealer and they told him that his sway bar is bad???

When I asked him how the hell the sway bar went bad he didn't want to talk about it.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 AM
00exAccord
Former Dsmer

your buddy in the truck probably hit something in his truck and didnt want to tell anyone and it bent his sway bar
Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a couple different things for you to check out.

The sway bar pivots in a pair of rubber bushings. They get old, worn, & the hole gets too big. Then the sway bar can rattle around & not control the suspension properly.

Maybe one of those pivots has even come loose from the bottom of the car?

One of the end links (connect the sway bar's ends to the lower control arm) is loose, broken, disconnected, or ???

It's possible that what you feel may actually be your shocks getting soft.

Or maybe 10 years ago a bunch of paint got knocked off the sway bar & it finally lost the battle with rust. Seems not very likely considering how thick the bar is.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:59 PM
DOZ5

Thanks Jim, I will check these out.