Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY: Radiator Replacement

Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 PM
stanchua

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Radiator Replacement

I didn't see a complete radiator replacement diy here (with step-by-step pics), so i thought posting 1 could be helpful...

***Always wait for the engine to cool down completely and unplug the battery!!!***

The radiator died on me a few days ago on my 4th gen accord, the bottom was leaking due to the rusty radiator base, hence it started to leak, and it leaks more when the engine is hot.

I ordered a brand new 1 @ Canadian Tire, $110+tax for a lifetime warranty radiator, for me it is quite a good deal so i took it

It is always better to get someone to give you a hand, for me I did it with my buddy but I put everything back by myself, and it took quite a while.

So we got a new radiator @ CanadianTire, with my buddy's s14 LOL

First thing I did is to unscrew these radiator holders. Drain the radiator until its all dry, by loosing the plastic nut underneath the car, right in the middle, its pretty easy to reach.

Unplug the hoses, there are 2 main hoses, the 1 on the top flows high temp water from the engine to the radiator, the 1 underneath flows low temp water into the engine. In my case, the hose underneath is hard to reach, so i just unplug the hose where connects to the engine. Remove the little hose that goes to the reservoir too.

Slowly lift the radiator up, watch for the fan connectors, there should be 2-3, just unplug them all, do not fully remove the radiator to avoid ripping the wires off.

You will be able to see half of the radiator, as the air condition pipe is in the way and its blocking the black hose underneath, just get the hose around it but try not to bend the hose too much. After that you will be able to lift the whole thing up but not completely off, and u can get access to all the nuts that lock both cooling fans, remove them.

Now here's the hard part, for my auto tranny accord, it runs the transmission oil thru the radiator as well, so there will be 2 little pipes that run transmission oil to the radiator and back, which are shown in the pictures. They are at the very bottom and it's not easy to reach and loose them. You need someone to hold the radiator for you in order to unscrew the nuts. Watch for the dripping oil, that's the transmission oil, hold them up so they wont drain, or you can choose to top it up later too.

The empty slot, the new and used radiator.

Put in the new radiator and reverse the steps, make sure all hoses and pipes are been tightened, especially the transmission oil pipes, i didn't really tighten it and i have to remove everything again.

Before starting the engine, fill the radiator first and the transmission fluid (if necessary). Start the car, accelerate for a bit and warm it up, add more coolant until it is full. Make sure there's no leaking from the underneath, as well as the hoses & transmission oil pipes.

Go for a drive, make sure there's no leaking and the car is not overheating, you are done.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 AM
md929

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice detail, thank you. I have a 96 Odyssey and it look very similar. The local dealer would've charged me $317 for labor alone.

Last edited by md929; 01-13-2008 at 09:39 AM.