Notices

Check Engine Light

Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Tim3.2CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

2001 3.2CL S-Type

So it was ridiculously cold this morning -47(with windchill) had to get to work tried to start the car(as the night before was just below freezing didn't plug it in). Car wasn't real happy when I tried to start her finally did, but sounded awful so I killed it and plugged her in for a 4 hours....Started her up no problem sounds fine, but now the check engine light is on, and won't go off after warming her up and driving a bit. Wondering what I may have broken or if its just a cold issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
busterbrown

Default 2000 tl check engine light

our check engine light came on also. steady light, not blinking. sometimes the tcs light comes on also. mechanic could not find any problem. reset and light stayed off for half a tank of gas, then came on. light sometimes goes off, then returns. we replaced the tank cap. doesn't appear to have worked. mechanic suggested we may have to replace the computer. anyone offer solution. do i need a new computer? can i reset it myself by disconnection battery?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by busterbrown
our check engine light came on also. steady light, not blinking. sometimes the tcs light comes on also. mechanic could not find any problem. reset and light stayed off for half a tank of gas, then came on. light sometimes goes off, then returns. we replaced the tank cap. doesn't appear to have worked. mechanic suggested we may have to replace the computer. anyone offer solution. do i need a new computer? can i reset it myself by disconnection battery?
If both check engine and tcs lights come on, it might be a sign that your tranny is going bye bye.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Carbuff

You need to post the codes for us here. Otherwise it's all WAGs. (Wild A*s Guesses)

The Check Engine and TCS lights together (on our car) were clogged EGR ports. Acura extended the warranty to 80K miles on the EGR and enlarged the ports, ours lit at about 70K miles.

When I had the intake off at 115K miles to adjust the valves I noticed that the EGR ports were clogging again so I cleaned everything out.

++++++++++

The only other check engine light on our '99 TL was an evaporative system malfunction. It was one of the solenoid valves near the left rear wheel, it got corroded from road salt. Cost about $50 to replace.

+++++++++

If you are in the USA you can get the codes read for free at an Auto Zone store. If you are real nice they might reset them for you (but they are bound to come back...your car is trying to tell you something).