Notices

TCC code P0740-CEL on-NYS inpspection ?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM
m735is

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCC code P0740-CEL on-NYS inpspection ?

I'm trying to get my 96 Accord LX 2.2L automatics safety inspection but I can't get it until I get rid of the check engine light. The code comes up as TCC malfunction and from the archives I don't have the cash to replace the tranny with another auto or do a manual swap.

Is there anyway to keep the light off until I at least get the sticker? I have to drive the car for a certain amount of time so that the DMV computer can connect and read the OBDII crap (O2 sensor, EVAP etc) but in doing so, I set off the TCC light. Sort of a catch 22.

My experiment today is to clear the codes and only drive under 40 MPH. I'm thinking that the coverter won't try to lock up so therefor it wont set the engine light. EDIT: That didn't work-yet- it was doing fine with under 35 granny driving with 5 or 6 restarts. But lit up when I accelerated alittle too fast at a light and the tranny slipped alittle (speed still under 40 though!).

Anything else to try??

By the way, New York state with no emmissions sniffing, so I won't have to rev the motor at the shop.

I only have ONE more day to do this!

Last edited by m735is; 09-13-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:23 AM
m735is

One more day-

Any way to trick the computer with some jumpers or resistors?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:10 PM
m735is

Update:
I drove around keeping the car under 35 MPH for 42 miles in an attempt to get the other system moniters "ready" for the OBDII check without setting off the TCC check engine light. Didn't work, the light came on when I pulled out from a stop sign. That was another couple of wasted hours!

Can I swap in a 5 speed ECU (just to get the inspection done)?
Can I unplug the solenoids or will that just set off a CEL?
Can I drive in D3 so that the converter doesn't try to lock up?

I will be doing a 5 speed swap ASAP, I just need this inspected NOW!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u screw. need new tranny. u can reset the code but it will comeback again.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by m735is
Update:
I drove around keeping the car under 35 MPH for 42 miles in an attempt to get the other system moniters "ready" for the OBDII check without setting off the TCC check engine light. Didn't work, the light came on when I pulled out from a stop sign. That was another couple of wasted hours!

Can I swap in a 5 speed ECU (just to get the inspection done)?
Can I unplug the solenoids or will that just set off a CEL?
Can I drive in D3 so that the converter doesn't try to lock up?

I will be doing a 5 speed swap ASAP, I just need this inspected NOW!

change the lockup control solenoid. Based on your year accord that should fix it.
Now if you had a 6th gen accord ( like me ) yea, you would have to replace the trans.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
m735is

One more tranny drain and refill and I'll try the lock up solenoids. My solenoids check out OK in both resistance and applied battery voltage. I don't know how to do a pressure line test, so I can't test them with pressure on them.

With the ECU codes using the jumpered two pin connection, I came up with 7 for the check engine flash and 4 for the D4 flash.
According to the "simple" code numbers:
7 would equal TPS and the 4 would equal VSS problem.

Using the Autozone scan tool I get P0740=TCC.

Am I looking too far into this problem??

My CEL came on today after 36 miles while cruising at 60 MPH. I THINK I could almost feel the converter trying to lock up which I've never felt up to this point.

I'm trying to test the TPS, just in case.

I really need to get a manual for this car, it's driving me crazy!

Last edited by m735is; 09-19-2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Forgot info:
Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 PM
flyromeo3

take out the solenoid clean it or replace it. Its either going to be the solenoid ( about a 150 dollar part. at most ) or spend the several hundreds for tranny replacement. If you swap the solenoid and it doesnt fix it than you know its the tranny.

Im not familiar with the line pressure test.

I ran into the same problem, replaced my solenoid and the CEL cleared out.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:59 PM
m735is

I did remove the lock up solenoid (s) and cleaned them with carb cleaner, the screen was perfectly clean. I also cleaned the two speed sensors on the end of the tranny.

At least today the magnetic plug was hardly dirty, hopefully todays drain and refill plus getting some other solenoids will cure this.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same code and the only way to fix the problem completely was a new tranny. btw I also have a 96accord. you need a new tranny.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 AM
m735is

That's what pisses me off, the tranny shifts absolutley fine (except the lock up part)-if it wasn't for the light issue, I could use this tranny till it fails-for good.

What inside the tranny is bad?

While I'm on the replacement tranny part- what tranny will bolt in? From what years? Without changing any of the sensors or solenoid packs or the torque converter.

I see that trannies aren't that much on Ebay, so if it comes down to that I want to know what my options are. There are two 90-93s in the junkyard I go to, but I have no way to check their operation, so those are out.

Also, when did Honda switch to the ECU and TCU in one? I guess that's why I'm reading about PCMs (powertrain control modules) now?