Notices

Air Mix Control Motor

Old 06-30-2007, 06:02 PM
ezmiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Mix Control Motor

Hi everyone,

I have a 99 Accord EX V6 with 98,000 miles.

I also have an intermittent rattling or rustling sound coming from the air mix control motor, which lives in the passenger footwell opposite the blower motor. The rattle is not bad, but 1) it's annoying and 2) if it's the sound that they make just before they catch on fire, I want to replace it now as opposed to wishing I had before the fire . . . . I really like this car.

If this sound is just normal, or if it happens, say, only in high humidity, then I can live with it a while, even though it's almost always humid here.

My questions:

1) What does this air mix control motor do, exactly?

2) What would cause the rattling sound?

3) Any thoughts about any of this?

Thanks,

EZMiles

PS If you're wondering how I know it's the air mix control motor:

1) When it's rattling (or whatever), I can feel the thing rattling when I grab on to it.

2) There's a wire harness plugged into it with the right number and colors of wires to match the air mix control motor in the wiring diagram in the Haynes. Believe me, I looked everywhere else for what this thing is!

3) If you're not wondering how I know it's the air mix control motor, why'd you read all the way down here?!

Thanks again,

EZ
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

two things:

if it is rattling, have you checked to see if the enitre thing is secure?

an electric motor thatrattles isnt good so id just replace it.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 AM
nspec_Cd5

its like turning your heat knob from cold to hot, or somewhere in b/w. . ones that came w/ the digital climate control had the air mix control motor. the computer tells the motor where to move depending on the temperature u set.
but anyways IMO its not the motor thats rattling, probably a screw that came loose and making the whole unit move. that motor is not running constantly, only every now and then.

look for loose screws. if everything is in its place, then i might be wrong and there might be a problem w/ ur climate control.

after that try messing around w/ your climate control like changning your temperature and see if you hear any different sound coming out of the motor?

and also do you hear the rattling sound when the engine is not running, i mean when the key is in "on" position.

turn the key to "on" position and turn on your fan. see if it makes any sound then, if not and it only makes sound when the engine is running, then there's definately a screw or something loose.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
ezmiles

Default Thanks for the replies

I think I'll disconnect the air control motor and drop the bottom of it to see if something's maybe fallen down into the motor or the fan. I really don't think that that's the problem, but, as they say, start with the easy stuff first.

The noise it makes is not like a nail rattling around in a hamster's exercise wheel; it's more like . . . . well , I don't know what it's like. If there's a flapper or door inside the housing there, it may have come loose and it may be letting air through, whoosh-sh-sh-sh-sh, and then flopping around in there.

Maybe I'll spend the Fourth in the Honda's floorboard.

It's funny, one of my other cars is a '99 Ford Exploder 4 X 4. There's so much wind noise and it shakes and rattles so much I would never notice a sound like the Accord is making. This Accord is just so quiet . . . except for this intermittent noise.

Thanks again,

EZ
Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 PM
nspec_Cd5

any luck?