Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Vista vs. XP v. what are some cool changes?

Old 06-01-2007, 04:05 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firebane
Vista is flawed in many ways and the biggest way its flaws is in the fact they tried to over simplify it and it makes it difficult for experience users to find their way around it.

Myself I've been using computers for over 14 years and I use Vista on a daily basis as I am a computer technician and I still have to stop and think where something is in Vista but with XP its two simple clicks away.
Originally Posted by Jani 5
the biggest issue i have with vista and office 2007 is that everything has been moved around... which makes it much stuff easier to find for a noobie computer user, but an adventure for any experienced user and/or admin.

it took me almost a half hour to find where they moved the Documents and settings folder.
:werd:

my girlfriend has it, it was a pain in the ass and i didnt even use it that much.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 AM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k3ifers
:werd:

my girlfriend has it, it was a pain in the ass and i didnt even use it that much.
UAC is the only annoyance I see. Aside from this upgrade, its a new product that we must learn. I think thats that deters people from using it.

aside from it crashing on my friends laptop almost daily, I wouldnt use it yet.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 AM
swaggs21

Ubuntu is my new friend.

Vista has some upside, but I am sticking to a dual boot Ubuntu, XP setup for now
Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
aside from it crashing on my friends laptop almost daily, I wouldnt use it yet.
that too.. i saw a couple blue screens :noes:
Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Hol6693
k3ifers' womann

I like the little notepad I can put on the side
and how I can see the screens by mousing over them on the bottom

and it crashes when I try to play the stupid games that came with my computer from wild tangent but I think its just keith's secret way of not letting me play them
Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 AM
MQue
We got this

My boy just got it and he said that it dose'nt support alot of his old programs his treo wont even sync to it but he told me it turns all his cd-r's into cd-rws which is a big deal for us due to the fact I make about 40 cd-s a day
Old 06-01-2007, 07:01 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

I have been running Vista for about 2 months. I haven't had one problem.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:42 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Originally Posted by Bishop
he told me it turns all his cd-r's into cd-rws
It's actually a flag on the cd when it's made of if it's a cd-r or rw. The software can choose to ignore this and use it as rw. It's not advisable however since rw cd's are higher quality than just plain cd-r's.

ie. you might get 1000 burns out of a single cd-rw but only 5 out of a cd-r used as an rw.

There is other software that will ignore the r/rw flag and use it how you want... but it's really not recommended. I've done it and gotten a few burns out of a cd-r, but have cd-rws that have been burned hundreds of times over years. The cd-r's sometimes get 2 burns, sometimes 10. You never know.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
MQue
We got this

Originally Posted by clickwir
It's actually a flag on the cd when it's made of if it's a cd-r or rw. The software can choose to ignore this and use it as rw. It's not advisable however since rw cd's are higher quality than just plain cd-r's.

ie. you might get 1000 burns out of a single cd-rw but only 5 out of a cd-r used as an rw.

There is other software that will ignore the r/rw flag and use it how you want... but it's really not recommended. I've done it and gotten a few burns out of a cd-r, but have cd-rws that have been burned hundreds of times over years. The cd-r's sometimes get 2 burns, sometimes 10. You never know.
Wow thats good to know I'll let him know
Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
mayonaise

Poor battery life:
http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-6181...0-20&subj=news

Slow moving/deleting/copying files:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03...a_copying_bug/

UAC was the biggest PITA in the beta versions I used at my old job. I hope at least some of the annoyances have been fixed in the public version:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1250154&size=o

Microsoft always makes some things harder to do with each new version of Windows. Seems like they try to make it easier to use the features that even an idiot will use. But the more advanced stuff gets buried deeper, and is harder to get to. It was the same with Windows 2000 to XP. But Vista is a much bigger change. Sure, there's a learning curve, and you'll get used to it. But getting used to it doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes a better OS.