Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

Del-Sol vs V8's

Old 10-07-2002, 07:14 PM
two-steps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del-Sol vs V8's

Well it was after a hockey game, I was coming home and I notice a late 80's early 90 trans-am rolling up on me in the left lane I look over and there are two young lads in the car they give me the look as they rool by and pull into the right lane in front of me, so naturally I figure they would like a race. So I pull up on there left give them the nod and were off. I'm in 2nd gear and I push the car to 7000rpm and its still dead even I'm like oh ****, but as I push the car to it's 8200 redline I pull about a half car length. Than once I put her in third its all but over as I pull about another 1 and a half cars on him. I race him again after the next set of lights with the same results. I give them a wave and thats that.
The next one I wasn't so lucky. Its a GT mustang a early 90's model it sounds very nice, anyway were fouling around for a bit before we get to the 401, I know as soon as we go for the entrie ramp its going to be on, I'm starting in thrid for this one I see him really get on it so I hammer it, through 3rd he pulls a 1/2 length on me same story in 4 so he's pulled about a car length on me I dump it into 5th and I look down at the tach I'm at 7000 rpm it seems like I'm starting to reel him in then out of know where my cars engine cuts out, I was like what the ****, the Mustangs know pulls away living me to wonder what happened, Is it possible that my car has a governer at 210km. Anyway he lets me catch up I give him the old tumbs up and I turn off to my home town of Kingston Ontario. I must say I'm really impressed with my new SIR II motor, my old 125hp motor would have never been able to hang in with those cars. I'm sorry if there are any errors in the spelling or gramer, I'm not the best in english
Old 10-07-2002, 09:41 PM
16sec_aintslow

and how do you know this wasn't just a little v6 pr 305 HO model firebird? What told you, "hey, this is a 5.7L Trans Am"? I'm really wondering how you knew that.

" Its a GT mustang a early 90's model it sounds very nice, "

put an off-road h-pipe and some 2 chamber flows on a 5.0 stang and it sounds mean.. Doesn't mean it's fast though. Early '90's eh...? how do you know it wasn't a late '80's with speed density and not MAF? Just wondering where all the damn ricers come up with the years to the cars that they race.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:46 AM
two-steps

Sorry bud, it wasn't even a trans-am it was a Z28,I'm not sure why I said trans-am. I guess it was possiable that the mustang was a late eighties. I don't profess to know all. I don't know how to tell the difference between a 86 to 93 mustang. I don't know why you would call me a ricer for that you can go **** your hat.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:50 AM
two-steps

I never said any of the cars I raced were fast either, I never even said my car was fast, if you must now I think my car is slow, compared to real sports cars. Anyway just thought I'd share my story with you
Old 10-08-2002, 12:03 PM
B18C1TEG

Originally posted by 16sec_aintslow
and how do you know this wasn't just a little v6 pr 305 HO model firebird? What told you, "hey, this is a 5.7L Trans Am"? I'm really wondering how you knew that.

put an off-road h-pipe and some 2 chamber flows on a 5.0 stang and it sounds mean.. Doesn't mean it's fast though. Early '90's eh...? how do you know it wasn't a late '80's with speed density and not MAF? Just wondering where all the damn ricers come up with the years to the cars that they race.
Dont be such an asss
Old 10-08-2002, 03:47 PM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

^ Agreed
Old 01-30-2004, 10:11 PM
89TransAmGTA

You know, I was going to comment on how little bashing I saw on this board and i was impressed with that.

Then I saw the quoted comments above. Oh well, there are a few on every board, and on ever side of the fence.

As for your camaro race, the problem with 82-92 (3rd generation) F-bodies is that there are so many engine options for them! Inline-4(Yes! The 82 firebirds had 2.5L I4's!!!), v6's(in 2.8L and 3.1L flavors, and special 3.8L turbo charged flavor only in 1989!), then onto the v8's.

Now the v8's could fill a book entirely. There were 7 different v8 combos from 82-92. The ONLY ones to really be concerned with are the 1985 TPI 305's, 1986+ 305TPI M5's, and 1987 and up 350 TPI's.

TPI's are BEASTS off the line. I dyno'd 315lb/ft to the WHEELS at 3,250rpm!!! Thats like 390lb/ft at the crank! However, the HP was far short. Only 225hp at the wheels. Basically a low 14 second car. I'm doing heads/cam/upgraded TPI soon and the DD2000 simulations are showing 400hp and 490lb/ft at the crank. TPI is that strong. Switching to a tunnel ram made a huge difference in the simulation. Went from 400/490 to 440/470. Course its all simulations till I buy the parts and put them in my car. ^_^
Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Just curious, you said you were at 7000 RPM's in 5th gear going up that ramp? So you were doing well over 120?

EDIT: F*** me Freddy, I need to look at the dates of the posts before I reply
Old 01-31-2004, 09:15 AM
03accordcoupe
^New car...2003 BMW 330ci

Originally Posted by 16sec_aintslow

Calm down. 16 seconds is slow.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Integrity
Some have it, some don't

Originally Posted by 89TransAmGTA
You know, I was going to comment...
Have you no shame? This one's two years old!!!