Notices

Honda Accord '98 - Automatic Transmission - Slipping

Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jamathi
Hi, my 99 4 cyl. Accord is at a Transmission Rebuild Shop right now for the same reason. When it is cold out the transmission slips when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear only. The harder you excelerate during the shift, the worse it slips. Took it to the trans shop about 4 times now, because I have a warranty with them. Symptoms are hard to replicate when the engine is warmed up combined with warm weather.

1st time, they replaced the Transmisiion A and B solenoids, with used ones of another tranny. Problem got worse.

2nd time they replaced the same solenoids with brand new ones from Honda $30 a piece. -Tranny felt better but problem still existed on cold start ups.

3rd time they said they changed the pressure sensor, tranny felt very weird and along with the cold weather the tranny slips clear as day when shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

4th time is now since I did not take the car home on the 3rd time. He says he will take the tranny out and open it up and see.

I have researched the issue quite a bit and have found many people mentioning to replace the Linear Solenoid which is $270 from Honda. But with the $200 I paid for the warranty, I don't see my guy replacing that, though I have told him about it many times.

The boss is nice to deal with though, which is a change from a lot of the other shop owners I've met. Someone please chime in with any insight.

linear solenoid at hondaautomotiveparts was 164.00 when i got it.
Linear solenoid is what regulates pressure to change gear from 1st - 2nd and vice versa....
Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Sedate_76

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Sedate, since your under the extended warranty ( extended to 105k I believe ) you should go to the dealer immediately and have them look at it. At least its on record that your experiencing some tranny troubles.
Thanks flyromeo3. I'm not the first owner of this car so I do'nt have any documentation about the warranty/Extended warranty.

Can anyone help with this so that when I go to the dealer I have something to make my case with them.

Regards.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sedate, since your under the extended warranty ( extended to 105k I believe ) you should go to the dealer immediately and have them look at it. At least its on record that your experiencing some tranny troubles.
iirc, the 98 and 99 are still not covered
Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

why do i get the feeling it was powerflushed and non- ATF fluid used.

I had the EXACT same feeling.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sibiryk
You should think about other mechanic. Really.
You need 12 Qt. of ATF to replace all fluid not 4.
You are wasting your money with him.
Not really...

Tranny has 7 quarts or so total, but the torque converter doesn't drain. You only get 2 or 3 quarts each time you drain & fill. If the old fluid is nasty, you may have to do a few more drain/fill cycles & drive 100 miles in between to mix the fluid.

But since old is always mixed in with new, it may take 12 quarts before all the old fluid is diluted & gone. That's NOT saying your mechanic is a crook...

Did your mechanic say anything about the condition of the fluid he drained?

After all that, it's still possible your tranny is on it's way out to a permanent lunch.

I'd like to know about the extended warranty... My '98 is automatic, but it's not having problems (yet?) I thought the warranty extension was only for 2001 & 2002 or ????
Old 01-24-2007, 07:00 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by Jani
iirc, the 98 and 99 are still not covered

Yeah, I believe the 01 and 00 were extended to 105k.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:45 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Not really...

Tranny has 7 quarts or so total, but the torque converter doesn't drain. You only get 2 or 3 quarts each time you drain & fill. If the old fluid is nasty, you may have to do a few more drain/fill cycles & drive 100 miles in between to mix the fluid.

But since old is always mixed in with new, it may take 12 quarts before all the old fluid is diluted & gone. That's NOT saying your mechanic is a crook...

After all that, it's still possible your tranny is on it's way out to a permanent lunch.

I'd like to know about the extended warranty... My '98 is automatic, but it's not having problems (yet?) I thought the warranty extension was only for 2001 & 2002 or ????

The warranty was mainly for the v6 transmissions since they were so prone to this disaster. Some 4cyl models were included as the same problem would appear.

The 2002 models were EXCLUDED from this recall. Even though the problems I experienced were Identical to my friends 01 accord that ended up getting a transmission replacement under warranty.

The warranty from 98-99 was up to 100k i believe
00 and 01 to 105k miles.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:13 PM
sibiryk

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Not really...

I wanted to say that his mechanic wasn't sure how to change ALL ATF because he used only 4 qt of fluid. 12 qt might be too much.
I use 2+ qt for every drain and fill so for 3 I would buy 9 qt. not be short on ATF on the middle of a weekend when dealerships are closed.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
lufkintravis

Originally Posted by Sedate_76
Thanks for sharing the information. At least I have started thinking of any solution to this problem that will cost lesser than the Honda dealership people always suggest: "Replace the transmission. New one is for $4000, certified used one is for $2100".
Damn man, that's a raping ass dealership... My best friend just had trans. replaced ('98 Coupe V6) and hers was only $2000 out the door and that was with all new motor mounts included and a 12mo/12K warranty. When I called to check on my timing belt service they quoted me $600 for new belts/seals/water pump on my '96 Accord out the door.