Notices

OEM look carbon fiber hoods?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 PM
ErichPryde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM look carbon fiber hoods?

I don't know a lot about carbon fiber hoods, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of one that doesn't look like carbon fiber weave- that is, it looks like a black factory hood. I can't really seem to find many carbon fiber hoods for the 2006 civic (different brands, that is).
eh. maybe I'll just have someone repaint my hood and trunk. it's not like I care about the weight that much anyway.
....back to ninja gaiden black...
Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Carbon fiber without the weave? why?

You might want to look for a composite or fiberglass hood if you don't want the weave (not sure what the difference is between the two). A fiberglass hood would save you a few pounds (3-8ish) but if hit with a stone on the highway could crack. Also I doubt the composite or fiberglass would be black, they would need painted (more $$$), whereas CF with the weave would not.

If you do get CF, make sure its 100% CF, there are a lot (less expensive ones) that are only a layer of CF over fiberglass. I think VIS makes an OEM style that’s all CF.

You should search for "OEM style (composite/fiberglass) hood" on google and get some more information.

Beware of cheap brands, they could have ripples in the finish or fit funny (even if they say it fits/looks right; you get what you pay for).

Now for the opinions:
Black hoods that are not CF are rice (CF is borderline rice), it makes the car look pieced together; so unless you’re going to do a two-tone paint I would stick with the OEM hood. The OEM hood isn’t that heavy and your money could be put to better use, i.e. lightweight pulleys (UR), tires, a shorty header (comptech), etc. Also, if you paint your hood and trunk you should concider painting the roof too.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
ErichPryde

thanks... I actually did a search for OEM carbon fiber hoods and found nothing but Seibon.

I guess the definition of "rice" differs from place to place, carbon fiber look hoods are almost more ricey here, or at least most of the people I know think they are. I appreciate the info.