Notices

Changing Transmission Oil

Old 12-22-2006, 10:58 PM
tpowers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Transmission Oil

My Wife has a 1998 Honda Accord Automatic.
It has over 150,000 miles, ran great. That was until we had the transmission oil flushed at a jiffy lube (Dumb thing to do) h: I did ask if they could do a Honda since I heard Honda's require Honda Products ONLY, the said Sure!. Well the car ran rough for a day,than ok for a few weeks. I took and cleaned the Shift cylinoids and it ran really good, they were clogged bad. It was cool again. Then it Jump when my wife stopped the car at lights and hesitant to shift, I checked the fluid it was one quart low so I went to a local Honda dealer and brought 1 quart of tranny oil. The car ran good for two days, now it is when jumping again. I checked the fluid and it is Brown. I was told I should take out three quarts of the tranny fluid and replace three new quarts of H0nda Fluid. Ok What do I do??? Wife is worried her car is toast and don't want to worry about the car's tanny having to be replaced.
What if any advice does anyone have. Any with same experiance?? Please Help.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:19 AM
sibiryk

Did you checked oil level on stopped enginge?
Another thing is that oil should be red even if it is old it keeps that color.
Try to drain and fill it tree times with Honda ATF
Old 12-23-2006, 06:07 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

#1) Should NEVER flush your honda AT.
#2) ONLY USE HONDA ATF
#3) Jiffy Lube sucks!!!!!!!!

Most likely your transmission is done. I just did a drain/fill on my 98 V6 accord 2 weeks ago. Jack the car up and there is a 3/8 socket wrench bolt on the tranny. Loosen that up and let it drain out.

Do you have the 4cyl or V6? If 4cyl you will fill it up through your tranny dipstick, if it's a V6 like mine there is a large bolt marked "ATF" if you look right over your intake tube. Drain and fill 2-3 times but not sure if that'll help your tranny as it's probably done.

Last edited by v6_accord_jerz; 12-23-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:00 AM
mycb7com

Sounds like its burnt. You could attempt to drain and refill 3 times to see if its still okay.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Hondapower80

Please, never ever take your car to Jiffy Lube. I won't even let those buffons near my car for an oil change. Also, for Honda automatics never do a flush but just a drain and re-fill.

Anyways, like other people have said I would buy 9 quarts of Honda ATF and do the drain and refill 3x, driving it a short distance between changes to get all the old crappy ATF that Jiffy Lube put in. Option 2 is taking it to the dealer and having them change the fluid it a.s.a.p. I would definitely get it changed one way or another. I just hope it is not too late.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:54 PM
tpowers

Default Changing Transmission Oil In Honda

well the car is a 4 cly. Yes the fluid is brown (made the mistake of going to Jiffy Lube in August) It don't act up all the time.I check the fluid when the car was stopped and another time acouple of hours later when sitting for awhile and it was a quart low.I am going to get more fluid and drain and fill. A majority of People (Honda Owners) I spoke with say the same thing. well that was a waste of $150.00 when I should have taken it to Honda in the first place. I'll Keep ya all posted. this is the first Honda I ever had problems like this .
Old 12-23-2006, 12:55 PM
tpowers

thanks, JUST SAY NO TO JIFFY LUBE.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Jon02Accord

Originally Posted by tpowers
well the car is a 4 cly. Yes the fluid is brown (made the mistake of going to Jiffy Lube in August) It don't act up all the time.I check the fluid when the car was stopped and another time acouple of hours later when sitting for awhile and it was a quart low.I am going to get more fluid and drain and fill. A majority of People (Honda Owners) I spoke with say the same thing. well that was a waste of $150.00 when I should have taken it to Honda in the first place. I'll Keep ya all posted. this is the first Honda I ever had problems like this .
especially since the honda dealer only charges $55.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM
tpowers

Default Changing Transmission Oil In Honda

$55.00? Not Here, More than that here in california. I drained and filled x2 a little change, jumped bad tonite. Any more suggestions????
Old 01-06-2007, 06:13 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I'd bet you fucked your tranny:lmao: