Notices

TL-S Tire Problems

Old 10-03-2002, 08:16 AM
salligator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TL-S Tire Problems

:sqfawk:

I have a 2003 TL-S with 1700 miles on it.

It just developed a bubble on the sidewall of the right rear tire.

Of course the Acura dealer refused to pay for it since it is tires.

The Michelin tire store also refused to pay for it and said there was a tiny bit of damage. So at 1700 miles I had to spend $200
for a new Michelin tire.

On the Acura newsgroup on Usenet, one other person had this exact problem.

The tire dealer told me that over the last year he has seen this problem on 20 Acuras with that Michelin tire and size.

He also said that normally that sort of blow to a Michelin tire would not cause a bulge.

I really like the car, but could the Acura suspension engineering department have borrowed a few people from the Automatic transmission department and designed a car prone to flat tires?
Old 10-03-2002, 09:42 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Bubble on the side wall is either caused by you hitting a curb or hitting a big pothole. I don't think it is Acura's fault. Your beef is probably with Michelin tires.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 10-03-2002, 11:58 AM
salligator

Default tires are very fragile

While I admit my wife did hit a small hole, this is normal in Central Ma where the roads are fairly poor.

The problem is that Acura has put a very low profile tire on a nice sedan type car. Also the tire store guy, and we were dealing with the manager of a 30 person store, did not think the sidewall damage to the tire merited that bubble.

It will be interesting to see if other people have the same sort of problem.

Maybe it is the tire, maybe it is the Acura.

Did you ever think that Honda Engineering could create a transmission where 1% of them (Honda's press release) failed?

Meanwhile, I have had an M3 with Michelin Pilot Sport tires and then Toyo Precis, both Z rated and no flat tires.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:28 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

In your original post, you said that the Michelin tire store won't replace it because there was a "tiny bit of damage". If you slammed against a curb while making a turn and damaging the tire, you can't expect Acura or Michelin to take responsibility on it. Also, I do not think a 50 series tire with a width of 215 is consider too low profile for a sedan.

Again, if your tire had no damage to the outside, Michelin would've probably give you a replacement. I just really don't see your point why you are blaming this on Acura.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 10-04-2002, 06:46 PM
salligator

Default tires and perception of TL-S

I really think that 215/50 17 tires may be too agressive for a street tire on a really great car that is not a race car.

It may be that Acura with the TL-S is appealing to people who really want a streetable race car and that is why the agressive very low profile tires.

However, personally I would rather have a less agressive tire, like what comes on a normal TL which is what I had before.

Is it possible to put the wheels and tires from a normal TL onto a TL-S?
Old 10-04-2002, 08:00 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Yes, just get a set of regular TL rims/tires and they will fit. You should've just bought the regular TL then.

Old 10-05-2002, 05:14 AM
salligator

I had a TL and really liked it. The TL-S is a much improved car over the 2000 TL.

The engine as you know is a work of mechanical art, particularly the VTEC howl.

The brakes are much better than they used to be, and the handling is a much more of a "it goes where you point it, when you point it". There still iare almost no particular torque steering
problems.

There are some other nice touches like the seats are much more comfortable, and they have a memory feature along with the mirrors that is keyed to your remote.

This is my wifes car. My other car is a 99 M3. What is interesting is that if I had the 6 speed in the TL, its accelleration would not be that far from my M3. Handling and braking are in the ballpark with the M3. Given that a 2002 M3 ( this would leave the TL-S in the dust) winds up costing about $50k ( don't forget luxury tax and gas guzzler tax), the TL-S is a great bargain.

Back to my original thesis about the tires. Towne Faire tires gives out a free road hazzard warrantee, except on what they consider low profile tires which is generally less that 60 ratio on 17 inch wheels. Other tire stores also have a similar policy on tires even if they try and charge you for the road hazard warrantee.

I will hold off on buying a set of wheels and tires, until I see how these tires do in the snow.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:40 PM
DTK

Let me update you on Acura transmissions. 1% is nothing compared to the US car makers 20% I know I worked fro Chrysler for a few years and we did an average of 2-3 transmissions a day in the ONE dealership. So when I have to replace 1% of the transmission's , dude get a grip 1% is nothing.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:11 PM
salligator

Actually, considering my opinion of Honda, one percent is still unfortunate, since my past experience with Honda products was never having a serious problem.

The defect must have done in a US supplier plant.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:36 AM
jimshu1

I thought all of the TL transmissions were Japanese built?