Notices

1996 Honda Civic LX sputtering : (

Old 11-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Amarulaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Honda Civic LX sputtering : (

Hello all...

I Hope this forum can give me some much needed help. I have a 1996 Honda Civic LX, 4 door sedan, 1.6 L Automatic. My check engine light came on a while back and pulled a code P0141. This referred to my oxygen heater circut malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2). I was told to just replace my sensor and all should be fine. The car seemed to be running fine. I am getting ready to sell the car so I just went and had the engine shampooed. I then immediately filled up with some gas and drove home. 5 minutes into my drive, my car was sputtering and hesitating (misfiring?) every time I pressed the gas pedal.

I though perhaps some moisture got in the distributor cap or wires/plugs...but nothing seemed to be wrong. Have they messed up my electrical? or could this be bad gas? I filled the honda up with premium for the first time EVER! Could this just have shocked my engine? Was it dirty or water logged gas?

It idles fine on start up...no problems...it is only when I try to drive and give it some gas that the sputtering/power loss begins.

Thing is this has never happed before. So it is either the engine wash or the gas...any thoughts out there?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 PM
darkskyracing

i would focus on the engine wash. thats why i don't like other peole (shops) working on my car. i mean to say THINK ABOUT IT. How many times have you gotten bad gas. cause i have never gotten bad enough gas that it would cause my car to misfire or putter.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would still drive fine with a bad air fuel senser.Thy pronely mest some thing up.I have never seen bad gas(ex diesel or old lawn mower gas lol).DO you have a new code? or the same one.Also yes a wet dizzy will cause all kinds of shit.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
t3t4delsol

did you bag all electrical items up first?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Amarulaman

I dont know if they bagged anything...if water was in the engine what would cause the sputtering?

?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Amarulaman

What I mean to say is...WHERE would water have come in..I am pretty sure they would have covered the air intake. What electrical would cause the sputtering? Is this an air / fuel mix thing, given that it sputters when i lay on the gas?

Fuck i wish i paid more attention in automechanics class...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
ari_one

I've had bad gas a few times during the winter here in Phoenix, it has made my 95 have a hard time when accelerating normally and made it feel like it just wanted to give up. I wasn't sure what it was but after a new tank full it was all good again. So, it could also be bad gas. Your much more likely to get bad gas if you use premium as it just isn't replenished as often so you're more likely to get water etc. in it.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Amarulaman

^ Thanks ari...I am hoping it is just a gas issue.

I will limp the car down the hill to the station and fill it up with fresh stuff.

I just wonder if I could be doing some serious damage driving it with the thumping and jerking of a misfiring engine.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Bad gass on the same you get the bay washed? Just doesn't sound right. However, I hope the problem goes away :hs:
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Amarulaman

^ Thanks Chef...I want to believe it is just bad gas, but your right...a little too convenient! Something got wet, wires, sensors, whatever it was it screwed up my engine.

Damn...more dollars out of my pocket.