Notices

New turbo

Old 11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New turbo

JUST bought a new Garret airsearch and it looks like a nissan IC? Any thoughts of what kind it is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2086&rd=1&rd=1
Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That IC won't fit on the front of your car. Not to mention that it looks like it's likely steel which does not cool very well. I hope you know what you're getting yourself into. There's no mention of what condition that turbo is in nor can you even see the exhaust manifold flange or downpipe bolts. I think you just wasted $100. :hs:
Old 11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
honura
Seni

Ditto

that's a cheap turbo I have seen about 4 of those same turbos and all where shitty and bad. Need to sit back sometimes and think about what your going to do and going to really need. Research and it will be cheaper in the end
Old 11-21-2006, 06:44 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

those turbos arent bad at all. i had one on my last setup and i beat the crap out of it and drove it daily summer and winter and never had a problem. sold it to someone on hondatech and he makes 280whp with it. though, i would never buy a used turbo unless i intended on having it sent out to be balanced and professionally checked. that intercoolr should be aluminum, i dont know of any intercooler that isnt. it looks liek its from a saab, but i could be wrong.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 AM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Im all for the junkyard setups but buying used turbos online is a risky bit of buisness. Did you make a point of asking about shaftplay or if the seals were still in good shape? Sidemount intercoolers are NOT worth the trouble for piping when a simple ebay front mount can do the job and make charge pipe routing MUCH easier. Good luck with this, always nice see another honda get boosted
Old 11-21-2006, 08:47 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everything said here and don't get me wrong, I give props to the junkyard setups that make a good deal of power, but you really need to know how a turbo works and is installed on a car with all of the various parts you need to put a 'kit' like this together. That IC for your car is pretty much useless. I'd also never run a used turbo without having it gone through/rebuilt. There are quite a few knowledgable people out here that will give you the info you need so don't hesitate to ask.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

holy turd balls.. that definatly looks like a waste of money! That turbo is most likley shot & will need to be sent out along with 150 bux to be professionaly rebuilt.. & as far as that intercooler goes, it looks like something that came off of an older ford probe, it's junk & won't cool more than like 5psi on that little thing!

send the turbo out to be rebuilt & it would be worth using.. but get your self a real intercooler b4 you even think to use that turbo.

best of luck to ya
Old 11-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Running925
holy turd balls.. that definatly looks like a waste of money! That turbo is most likley shot & will need to be sent out along with 150 bux to be professionaly rebuilt.. & as far as that intercooler goes, it looks like something that came off of an older ford probe, it's junk & won't cool more than like 5psi on that little thing!

send the turbo out to be rebuilt & it would be worth using.. but get your self a real intercooler b4 you even think to use that turbo.

best of luck to ya
now now Tony, no need to insult, we are all here to help. h: :reechy:
Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

what insult.. that was 100% heart felt advise!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 AM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

I appriciate all your feedback guys but look at ebay? Yes intercooler is basically scrap metal but it was free? hell yeah. Yes you run a risk of a seal leaking or something but the guy said there was no shaft play at all...realistically it's a used turbo so i'm expecting it to have some. And if it's so shitty that I can't use it on my gsr than I can put it back on ebay and possible double my money! it's a REAL Garret.