Notices

Air Conditioner Surging more often now...

Old 11-19-2006, 01:56 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner Surging more often now...

Please post advice or answers to this problem. I have a 1998 honda civic lx 1.6 liter and the ac was worked and fixed about five years ago. I have had car for three years and have had no problems with it. I checked the pressure on the ac system and it is showing filled 40 pounds so i did not see a need to add freon to it. I kicked on the ac to max and i noticed the condensor fan did not kick on and the car started to make a squealing sound like a wet belt or somthing. The squealing didnt stop until i shut the ac off. I dont know if it could be the belt or a relay or what? The condensor fan does kick on though because i went to show it to my dad and the damn thing didnt act up. The condensor fan kicked on and off just like it should when i went to show it to my dad. Another thing the car would do is it would sound like somthing was turning off and on like seconds behind seconds. It would feeel like the power was getting drained on the car.. Was behind wheel so wasnt able to see if it had something to do with fan kicking on and off. It blows cold air so that is not a problem. It has no leaks in system so i dont think that is a problem. It had done this before but i would just shut off the ac and click it back on and it wouldnt do it for like another 5 to six months so i didnt worry about it. It just recently started doing this like maybe six times a day. The problem just started. I spun the condensor fan with my fingers to see if i could notice something wrong with the fan but it seems fine. It spins and does stop like it should. Also it is not loose like bearing or somthing would be out on fan. I dont think the fan itsself is the problem. Please post opinions. thanks a bunch.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK the noise could be your a/c clutch going bad or the a/c pump its self.The fan not turning on, could be the relay.The relay is under the under hood fuse box got like a little snow flake on the diagram have your dad turn on and off the ac you should hear and feel it click.If it is not clicking hit it and see if the fan turns on that would be a bad relay.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
honda1998civic

ok... does anyone know of a consensor switch and where it would be located would make fan turn on and off when it needs to? I turned on car and ac and the fan turned on fine. It turned off and on when it needed to then it just quit. I tapped on consensor fan relay but nothing happened. The car started to squeak so i turned off ac and i dont know where the sqeak sound came from the car.... Does anyone know what else could cause fan not to turn on when it should? Can it only be condensor fan relay or someone told me there is a consensor fan switch somewhere.... Can anyone help me out? Can this be an effect from low freon?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok the condenser fan is controlled by the ac thermostat.The ac thermostat is grounded by the heater control panel.See if you have 12v on the Blue/Black wire to the fan when it fail.IF you have 12v the fan is bad or the fan ground is loose.IF you dont let me know we will take it from there.

For the noise is the belt loose?and yes low freon will make the ac sytems shut off but you said it still blows cold rite?
Now i misted some thing 40 pounds sounds a little low.What is it runing on the high and low side.

You can check for a leaking ac system look for any oil on the lines.The ac has a lot of oil in it if it is leaking freon it will also leak oil.

Last edited by Fuse; 12-06-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
honda1998civic

ok.. i was told it was the high pressure switch to the condensor fan.. Does anyone have pics of where it is located? i believe i know where it is but just want to make sure that is it? Also i shouldnt have to drain anything right in order to replace switch? please respond