Notices

differences?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:09 PM
OurStory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differences?

Hi, I know this maybe a weird newb question but i am planning to buy a civic and I was wondering what is the difference between the 1996-98 and 99-00 models? THey look the same to me. Oh, and i am planning to get a 2dr si manual civic. Can anyone tell me what to look for when buying a used car of this class also
Thanks in advance
Old 11-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

headlights, bumper's, and taillight colors changed in 99. as well as a few other interior things.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

Well buying a used car, first you want to look at the paint, observe the dings and dents. Next, see if there are burn holes in the interior or mad stains anywhere...this will tell you how someone treated the car, if they couldn't keep it clean, chances are they didn't do regular maintenance on the car either. Next look at the engine, clean? See if they will let you take off the valve cover and check out the cams, see if they're worn, also observe the timing belt, if it's anywhere 90,000 above you need to change it. Next, look at your tires, if they have any unever wear, this means the car is out of alignment or even more serious problems. Start the car, if it runs unusual, smokes heavily after it's warmed up or leaks, steer clear of someone elses problems. Drive the car, see if it accelerates ok, does the throttle stutter? All gears smooth? Does the clutch catch easily at low rpms? brakes work without sqeaking? All lights and accesories work? Play with the car, think of every imaginable thing you would ever do to the car and see if it's functionable...hell even see if the seats recline all the way...And worst case scenario, its still an SI so if you're looking for something to waste that minimium wage cash on, make it your project.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 AM
OurStory

thx thx for the help xD!!! I will check out all those things for sure.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:46 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by project_hatch
Well buying a used car, first you want to look at the paint, observe the dings and dents. Next, see if there are burn holes in the interior or mad stains anywhere...this will tell you how someone treated the car, if they couldn't keep it clean, chances are they didn't do regular maintenance on the car either. Next look at the engine, clean? See if they will let you take off the valve cover and check out the cams, see if they're worn, also observe the timing belt, if it's anywhere 90,000 above you need to change it. Next, look at your tires, if they have any unever wear, this means the car is out of alignment or even more serious problems. Start the car, if it runs unusual, smokes heavily after it's warmed up or leaks, steer clear of someone elses problems. Drive the car, see if it accelerates ok, does the throttle stutter? All gears smooth? Does the clutch catch easily at low rpms? brakes work without sqeaking? All lights and accesories work? Play with the car, think of every imaginable thing you would ever do to the car and see if it's functionable...hell even see if the seats recline all the way...And worst case scenario, its still an SI so if you're looking for something to waste that minimium wage cash on, make it your project.
Very well said :goodjob: