Notices

HELP!!! 95' Honda Civic Overheating

Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 PM
civic9519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! 95' Honda Civic Overheating

Alright,

I have a 95' honda civic ex coupe that is overheating. When it first started I thought maybe the radiator so I replaced it. About a year ago a friend advised that I should change the water pump, and that we should change the timing belt while we were in there. I helped him do this. When we finally put everything back together the idle on the car was off. We changed the o2 censor and the pcv valve. I knew it was not right because after the belt had been changed the car lost all it's pep. It was very non-responsive to the gas peddle. Going up hills I would actually press the gas the rpm's would go down and then rise back up allowing the car the power it needed to move forward, though the car no longer overheated. Finally anout 6 months ago I had the timing fixed and the car ran fine again. Then it started overheating again, I had a proffessional look at it and they told me it was the radiator and the water pump (keep in mind they were both just replaced 6 mo. prior.) So I had them replaced. Within the last month the car has overheated 3 times. This is what I can say: I changed the oil about a month ago and last weekend it overheated, I checked the oil and nothing read on the dipstick. Where is the oil going? When I checked the radiator it was bone dry as well as the resevoir (the radiator cap had melted to the inside of the radiator.) I filled it back up, replaced the cap and the thermostat and kept driving it. Five days later it overheated again and the radiator was empty. I haven't noticed leaks of fluid anywhere, the car is parked in the same spot every night. The oil looks fine it doesn' appear to be milky. Sorry for all the info but I was hoping it might narrow it down for that person out there that has any clue about what is wrong. Oh, it also has a new battery. Any help would be appreciated..it has about 143,000 miles on it.

Chris
Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the oil for water
Old 11-16-2006, 10:22 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

Heater hose leak ftl.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:24 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

replace the thermostat, check all hoses for leaks. make sure your fans are kicking on.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:09 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

have you done a compression check? - you could have a bad headgasket
Old 11-17-2006, 06:16 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Probably something simple maybe a hose that's leaking since it's sounds like you replaced all the main cooling parts (water pump,radiator,thermostat)....are your fans turning on?

All I can say it's obvious you don't know what's going on with your car and don't take it to "Joe Shmo" at some stupid mechanic shop....take it to Honda and they'll tell you what's wrong with it in like a half hr.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 AM
civic9519

The car is also revving by itself on startup until it gets warm. It revs from about 1500-2000. Do you think this could be another sign of a problem connected to the overheating issue, or could it just be something small. After having it checked out again it was the water pump that was leakinng and I'm having it fixed right now. This is the 3rd one what are the chances of 3 going bad in a year? Is there something else that makes the water pump crap out?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by civic9519
The car is also revving by itself on startup until it gets warm. It revs from about 1500-2000. Do you think this could be another sign of a problem connected to the overheating issue, or could it just be something small. After having it checked out again it was the water pump that was leakinng and I'm having it fixed right now. This is the 3rd one what are the chances of 3 going bad in a year? Is there something else that makes the water pump crap out?

Vacuum leak or bad IACV