Notices

02 Manual shifting stiff as molasses!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:40 PM
redlion4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Manual shifting stiff as molasses!

Our 2002 Civic manual tranny shifting has changed over the past month. Shifting from 4th to 3rd is the worst, as it has become extremely stiff - like molasses feel. The same issue is present in 4th to 5th, but not as bad. 1st and 2nd gears don't seem to have the issue at all (yet?). Grinding NEVER occurs for any shift combination, only the issue with the stiffness / resistance as described above.

I have found two TSBs over the internet that may apply (#02039 from 7/16/02 [Concerns with shift level which is difficult to move] and #502 from 5/16/02 [Concerns with stiff shifting into gear condition]), but the local dealers refuse to let me read the full documents. They want $105 labor (1 hour) to "diagnose" the problem, before they will talk.

Forum search did not provide any result on this type of problem. Have others here had the problem? Anyone have suggestions or access to the full TSB documents?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by redlion4; 11-16-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

sync's going bad? My best advise is drain tranny fluid and refill it with dexxron 3...if its still stiff after that you can pick up a d series tranny for cheap at a junk yard...You'd need to find any ex, lx, dx or cx civic 92-2005. All of those civics are d series I beleive...
Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 PM
redlion4

Originally Posted by project_hatch
sync's going bad?
Sync's were one of my initial guesses as well, but this is almost always accompanied by grinding, so I'm doubting it. Absolutely no grinding is happening.

Tranny fluid change is easy enough to try. Stiffness caused by the fluid should impact all gears equally, but you never know.

Would REALLY like to see the full reads on the two TSB's!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

I dunno man, you can pay honda to tell you what's wrong, or you can buy another one, and when you have time, rebuild your current tranny, then you'll have a backup? or resell yours and make back some money from buying one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-ci...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-16-2006, 02:32 PM
fathergoat
:3

I would start with a tranny fluid change.