Notices

Weird Electrical Problem

Old 11-10-2006, 11:34 AM
vmardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Electrical Problem

Hello. I have a 2001 Acura EL (nearly identical to Civic).

I've had this problem for about a year so I've documented it extremely well....

When I start the car, the battery indicator stays on. In order to get the battery indicator to turn off I must do one of three things:

1. When I rev above 1000rm the indicator begins to flicker. The higher I go, the less it stays on and the more it stays off. If I go above 5000 rpm it stays off completely until the rpm's go back down. If I go above 6000 rpm it stays off for the duration of the trip.

2. If I drive around for a few minutes, the battery indicator will turn off without any unsual reving.

3. If I drive around for a short duration, while using max electricity (ie: wipers on fast, stereo on loud, A/C on full), the indicator will turn off within about 30-45 seconds.

Before the battery indicator turns off, I can tell that I don't have much power. The A/C isn't very strong, the dash lights are dim, my headlights are dim. At the transition point where the battery indicator turns off completely (via 1 2 or 3), electrical momentarily stops (ie: wipers stop, radio turns off, A/C stops), then comes back on at full power and everything is normal for the duration of the trip.

If I turn the engine off before 1, 2, or 3 occurs, the car won't start back up again (ie: I'll need a boost).

I swaped batteries and that didn't help. My current battery is brand new.

So, what's going on?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:12 PM
thorgs

Hmm, I'm going to say you need a new alternator and that you have a short some where in your electrical system. That's all I can think of.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:31 PM
vmardian

You mean to say its one or the other, or both?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:55 PM
mini-me civic

i say alternator, have it checked out by your mechanic with the midtronics..
Old 11-14-2006, 03:14 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

you can take it to any auto parts store and they will check your altenator and battery for free..if not that maybe new wiring harness? prolly find one cheap from a junk yard