Notices

Engine ping

Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 AM
jbowman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ping

Lately, when I first start up my car and start driving my engine makes a light pinging noise. This only happens until the car is warmed up and only through first and second gear.

I was thinking of maybe trying a lighter weight oil and see if that helps, but also, as its starting to get cold, I don't know if I want to do that.

Any ideas, or should I just buy my new engine a little ahead of schedule
Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

could be the start of a failed rod bearing...ive been there that aint good...when you say ping...be more specific...does it sound like metal on metal or what? if it is a failed rod bearing it shouldnt take long before you can actually feel the "knock" if you put your hand on the motor..pray its nothing that serious..im guessing its your 98 ex civic....what the mileage on it? have you changed the timing belt? have you had a valve train adjustment? it could simply be a rocker
Old 11-01-2006, 09:47 AM
jbowman

Yeah, its on my 98 civic with 170k. It's been going on for a few months now, and hasn't worsened any. So that's a good sign I guess. The ping I guess is like a real quick, fairly soft, ticking, mechanical sound. I've only had the car 4 months and no I haven't had a vt adjustment or changed the timing belt. Those should probably be my first step?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Wharbone

Is the sound constant whenever your car is warm and in 1st and 2nd? or does it only do it when your car is pulling a grade like going up a hill?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:46 AM
jbowman

It seems to only do it when it's cold and first start going (until I get about 4k RPM's or into 3rd). After the engine heats up, it goes away and doesn't do it when I climb hills (I go up some pretty steep ones on the way to work)
Old 11-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

humm....i honestly can say....time for the experts to jump in :werd:
Old 11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Ticking is usually like wearing valve train parts. Have you adjusted your valves lately!?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

Originally Posted by Mugenfreak
have you had a valve train adjustment? it could simply be a rocker
maybe im right after all
Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Default Engine ping

I've driven several different hondas and several different makes of cars over the years and in cold weather I've noticed a slight ticking (that increases with engine rpm) until the motor warmed up on almost all of them. On some cars it's all the time in cold weather (until the engine warms up) while on some it does it some times and not others. I've always heard that this is normal. I know from experience (with a '90 prelude) that using thicker/heavier oil does increase the ticking noise, in that case it was oil much thicker than recommended and the result was a much louder ticking, clacking from the cam lobes and lifters I'm assuming.
My current car, '92 Civic EX, doesn't seem to do this noticeably unless it's quite cold but according to the manual it is normal to hear a slight ticking or knocking(not sure of exact wording) while holding a constant speed, even when warmed up. It says this is a sign the engine is running at it's most economical. I've noticed this a few times but it's very quiet and not very noticeable.

I'm FAR from an expert but it seems possible that if the valves or the timing needed adjusting it could increase those noises (or cause them to begin on a quieter motor).