Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Last event of the year at Hershey.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last event of the year at Hershey.

Well yesterday was our last event of the year at Hershey Giant Center. It was FRICKING WINDY! Our course would change at the whim of the wind. We had so many reruns and false laser tripping it started to turn into a nightmare. Wind gusts were up above 40-50mph. Our timing lights kept moving, cones would blow across the course, leaves were tripping the lights... UGH.

In the end though I was rewarded by driving one of our sponsor's BM Tigger.

It's his hillclimb/road racing car. I'd have to say on a scale of coolest things I have done in my life this rates HIGH as a 10. The car was built by him over the course of several years. Large wings, slicks, carbon fiber pieces, and just amazing car. Getting into the car was an act itself as he built the car around him not my fat butt, but with some coaxing I was able to slide in. You basically lie down semi flat. The pedals are about 2" wide and about 1" apart. That took some getting used to. I kept pressing on the wrong pedals with my regular shoes when I went in to test fit it. Sunday I wore my racing shoes which made things easier. My shoulders barely fit in the driver's area. Shifter had about 1/2" of play, gas pedal, brakes and clutch had about 1" of take up.

My first run out I got on the gas too hard in our turn around and spun. I also hit like 8 cones cause I wasn't used to how wide the car was and it would turn almost instinctively. I think I ran a 55 seconds.
Second run I stalled the car at the start and was a little better. ONly hit 4 cones I believe. My last run I finally got to learn how to dive in hard with the brakes and ease on the gas slowly. Didn't hit any cones and got FTD with a 33 second run.

I'm going to try to post videos but the vids were pointed too low so you cannot see much. Still a hoot to watch.
Attached Thumbnails Last event of the year at Hershey.-dsc_6275.jpg  
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 PM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

Yeah Hershey was such a freakin blast! I'm working on getting my pics hosted and up on the forums. I took a bunch of videos, but they're huge and I'm not sure I'd want to host them on photobucket for bandwidth issues.

Unfortunately Mike, I didn't get your run in the Civic where you spun out (I was working that heat...or should we call it chill, cause of how cold it was...geez), but I do believe I got a couple of your runs in that beast there! I got the one of you spinning out coming out of the turn around, and one where you hit a cone at the beginning and it looked like it came up and hit you in the head! Or were both of those in the same run...hah either way, it looked pretty funny, and I know I have two videos of that thing.

I'll post up here when I get stuff hosted
Old 10-31-2006, 04:43 AM
CivicSiRacer

Hey cool thanks. Or can you host them somewhere for me to download?

Yeah everyone said one cone looked like it hit me. If it did I don't remember cause I was concentrating on keeping that car straight
Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

here are some of the better pics I took from the day.

Unfortunately other than the pic of the orange SRT4 above, I don't really have any good action shots, cause I was filming most of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
CivicSiRacer

Hey cool pics!
The Blue Evo I drove at one of our York events. So much fun with so much power Thai Diep owns that one. I was actually FTD in his car during our rain event. Held onto that til the 4th heat when everything dried up.