Notices

bumpy ride on stock springs/koni yellows

Old 10-28-2006, 05:42 PM
ezekel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumpy ride on stock springs/koni yellows

so i have a 99 si and at first it had stock shocks and s-tech springs. I didn't like the drop on it when I bought it so i replaced them with eibach pro-kit springs and koni yellow. I didn't like the drop, I felt they were on par with the s-tech and the ride was harsh.

so now I am riding on stock springs with koni yellows and the ride is still harsh, every bump can be felt.

is this a problem with the shocks or a part of the suspension, or would the springs play a big role?

as for springs, I want something with not a giant drop but rides smooth. I was thinking HR OE or I have heard some good things about type R springs

any help/opinion would be great
Old 10-28-2006, 05:53 PM
CivicRacr

what are the settings on the koni yellows? hard, soft? if its on full hard, ride is gonna be really rough. and lowering springs is gonna be a bit rougher than stock springs
Old 10-28-2006, 06:16 PM
ezekel

i have tried everything in between full soft to full hard. right now its on full soft and its a little bit better, but still harsh. I still feel bumps but not as bad as full hard
Old 10-28-2006, 07:31 PM
95LSv
Banded

Weird, try getting some coilovers, that way you can always adjust ride height. I have tokico blue with ground control coilovers, and that thing is slammed and rides better than stock.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:43 AM
ezekel

GC last time I checked probably run ~350-400ish right? I was looking into GC and remembered that it was better due to the fact that you can get custom spring rates and you don't have to worry about spring compressors or the sort when you want to change out the springs

are they hard to install?
Old 10-29-2006, 05:24 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

If you want a soft ride, get a Benz. But no, really, if you want a soft ride, you can get the Tein Cruising master. They are meant for th nicest ride possible. But usually when you buy performance shocks, they are meant for performance, not ride quality. I had Koni Yellows with GC coilovers on my car, and I felt the bumps too. But I like my ride to be stiff. It handles better.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:20 AM
ezekel

a M3 is in the works

I expect the ride to be bumpy as there really is no perfect under 20k car that has perfect suspension where it glides..but how nice that would be.

i just wanted something that doesn't quite take the full impact of the bump, currently my friends 88 gti rides better than my 99 does h:
Old 10-29-2006, 11:05 AM
b20hatchy
EM1 Crew member #74

Ok here is what you do:

Sale the the koni's to me and iwill give you stock shocks and springs so you can have a smooth ride.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 AM
b20hatchy
EM1 Crew member #74

Originally Posted by ezekel
GC last time I checked probably run ~350-400ish right? I was looking into GC and remembered that it was better due to the fact that you can get custom spring rates and you don't have to worry about spring compressors or the sort when you want to change out the springs

are they hard to install?

You shouldn't need a spring compressor to change out your springs. The only time you need one is when you are removing the stock springs for the struts.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:02 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Koni Yellows are twice to three times stiffer than stock shocks. Which is why your ride is harsher.