Notices

Speed Source brass shift bushings review (PICTUREITOS BUENO!)

Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 AM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Source brass shift bushings review (PICTUREITOS BUENO!)

That’s what the kit includes. 2 bushings, 2 c-clips, 2 lightweight pins, a little piece of toilet paper (directions) and a strip of high-performance sand paper... too bad they left out the IMG

The installation is a breeze, just pull the air box, take out the rubber bushings and put in the new brass ones. I don't know what the sand paper is for, I decided it would be a smart idea to throw the bushings in the freezer for a few hours before I installed them so they would fit better. If you’re the kind of guy to ignore the benefits of science the sand paper may be used to sand away some material if the bushings don’t fit right.

The instructions say to disconnect the cable clips to free up the ends, but I didn’t do this, I spent about 10 minutes trying to get those damn clips off before I gave up and spent 5 minutes replacing the bushings.

There they are installed, sorry the pictures a little out of focus, those shinny brass bushings mess up my auto-focus quite effectively.

There’s not much else to say. The shift feel has improved/changed a little. I did this when they car had only 200 miles on it so the rubber bushings didn’t have time to crap out. I think these were only 24 bucks, so it’s not a complete waste of money. I’ve been told I need to get the shifter base bushings to really notice the change, but I’d rather not...

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 10-27-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I'd really like to know if they would work on my Accord, from what I understand the bushings are very widely used in many Honda vehicles. Mind giving me the diameter of both of the stock bushings??
Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

large bushing is 38mm small is 25mm, thats including the bushing lip which is 3mm on either side.

according to speed-source.net:
"The Honda version of the kit fits 2002+ Acura RSX, 2002+ Civic Si, and Ka-engine Accords. It may fit other cable-shift Honda's as well!"
Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

That's where I'm hazy, i'll have to try and see. All I'd have to do is send it back. I'll do some measuring tomorrow once it stops raining.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Affect

Thanks for the great write up.

I got around to finally installing mine today, and was able to get the larger of the two bearings on properly. The sideways and smaller (I believe this controls the clutch engagement) however went in half way and seized. I've spent 6 hours trying to remove the bearing from the assembly to no avail.

It's soaking in PB Blaster overnight to see if that helps. Would anyone have some tips for removing the speed-source bearing? A tool that might work better than the ones I'm trying. This has been on frustrating and knuckle busing "30 minute" install.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Car: 2006 Civic SI
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Affect

Alright, a fresh nights sleep did wonders. I was able to use some vice grips and a small dowell the size of the bushing to push it back out. It still will not easily slide into the mount however. I've shaved down a little brass on the bearing, but this hasn't helped. It's in the freezer now. Hopefully this will be the extra hundredth of an inch I need to make it fit.