Notices

allmotor build up with oem honda parts

Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Allmotor Vtec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allmotor build up with oem honda parts

ok so i got b18c longblock i got ls crank with ls rods and oem bore size ctr pistons, also just recieved the buddy club spec v cams with omni power dual valve springs now i just want to find out if anyone have done the similar set up i need to know if i will have valve clearance or do i need to shave off my ctr pistons would like to get some info from people who did or know somebody who did this set up dont want to bend valves here thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
b18c1_hatch

Why dident you just use the gsr crank and rods. The Ls crank is longer and heavier. and i think the rod to stroke ratio will be diffrenet as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can clay the motor(put clay or play-dow on top of the pistons put the engine together and spin it up take it apart and check the valve to piston clearance use a depth gauge i like .020 or more.more is better you can get a high rev.using the uped springs will help you will not get as much valve hang time.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Allmotor Vtec

so its better to use my gsr crank and rods? i have just the ls crank and rods sitting around people told me it would produce more torque?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:22 AM
gsr wannabe

oh, wow...

where to start...um...

wow...

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to do alot of research before you start something like this...either that or find someone to build you a motor

and it sounds like you've been doing alot of reading on message boards.

Just because someone says these parts will work together doesn't mean they will.

a few things-
ls/vtec: using an LS, or b18b block, crank, rods and pistons with the addition of a b16 b18c1 b18c5 head. --an LS bottom end ( block ) has 1834cc or 112 ci of displacement... a gsr bottom end has 1797cc or 110ci of displacement. if the combination of b18b (ls) block and a vtec head ( b16 b18c1 b18c5 ) are built right, and tuned properly, then yes, it can have more tq, ie: be 'faster' than a GSR (1797cc vs 1834cc)

if it's done right, then it works great...

you need to get ahold of a shop, and ask them what's up, or ask alot of specific quetions, cause all the parts you have listed wont work together
Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

you can definitely use the ls crank and rods in a b18c block. you may have to bend the oil squirters to make sure you have enough clearence, but it will work. the advantage of this is you have an oem stroker, although a small one, inside a stronger b18c block. the advantage of this over a regular lsvtec is you're using a much stronger block in the b18c. it has better webbing to reinforce the block, 3 main girdle to keep things stable, and the oil squirters to keep the pistons cool. and you dont have to run any external oil lines.

if you're worried about clearences with the ctr pistons, ditch them and get jdm p73's or p30's. they'll work much better and put your c/r in a reasonable area (~11:1)

Last edited by Snoopy; 10-26-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 AM
gsr wannabe

Originally Posted by Snoopy
you may have to bend the oil squirters to make sure you have enough clearence, but it will work.
This is what I was referencing-there are going to be modifications that you will have to make for this to work, and not all of them easily done w / o the backing of a shop, or a really nice home garage...sounds like this may be the first motor you are putting together ( from what I can tell )

I'm just going to say this--if a shop screws up your engine, or it runs like crap, they will fix it. If you f*** it up, there's no one to blame but yourself, which may lead you down the "honda's suck" path, because you didn't get something right in the motor. If you do really know what you're doing, then bully for you...

I re-built my chevy 4.3 V6 top to bottom for a 200 Nitrous shot by myself, and I still had a shop put my honda together...rather have the backing of the shop if the motor pops, or is schitty, but that's me.

good luck with your build, sounds like it will be a pretty potent N/A honda