Notices

Keyless-less 96 Civic

Old 10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
UNChris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless-less 96 Civic

I just bought a 96 Civic EX with an aftermarket (JVC) head unit, so no keyless entry. I know some people stash their factory unit in the console or glove compartment & use some kinda harness to leave it wired/powered up. I don't know how this guy installed this head unit but I noticed a lot of spliced wires in back.

I don't care about an alarm so much...just the keyless entry. I definitely don't want a lot of trouble so I thought I'd just get a factory head unit and go that route. If I don't have the super special harness some people use...other than a power wire are there a lot of other connections I'll have to make to the factory head unit?

If there's a easier/better solution I'd greatly appreciate any info. I searched couldn't figure out anything else. I guess I don't really understand how this harness works...and leaves 2 head units hooked up.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:28 PM
jbowman

Here's a site that shows you how to hook up both radios and where to stash it. Has lots of pictures. Hope it helps.
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466013.pdf
Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 PM
cpvdh

your local car toys or car audio store should have a harness just for the purpose of leaving the factory one in for keyless and using the aftermarket head unit for sound
then stash it behind the dash
the harness makes it real easy if you dont want to wire yourself
good luck, remember to unhook your battery before messing with anything
Old 10-24-2006, 01:02 PM
UNChris

Sweet! Many thanks...