Notices

Help with Sticky Steering

Old 10-21-2006, 04:14 AM
ramrod35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sticky Steering

I own a CRX Vti that i've had for about 7 years. Unfortunatly the car was stolen by some wee b@sta@rd and was recovered a short distance away but it suffered some damage to the front left. The front tyre had been burst and had obviously hit a large hole or kirb. It looks like the damage as knocked the geometeries off as the front left wheel now runs close to 0degrees camber (used to run negative).

I replaced the track rod ends and redone the alignment as it had been knocked well off. it got the steering wheel back to it origainal position but it still feels sticky. The steering turns fine with no obvious lumps etc but when driving you can start to turn take your hands of the wheel and she'll keep on turning rather that straighten up. It also very frustrighting as it difficult to make minor adjustment to direction when driving so it feels as though i'm all over the road. Argh!

The car is immaculte and was great to blast around on the country roads but with these issues i've lost my confidence in it's handeling/steering so would realy like to get it back to normal. any help would be much appreciated!

p.s. i've asked a few garages and had opinions of steering rack & def not steering rack and more likely steering coupling. my local honda dealer told me that they had never replaced a steering rack and had never seen any car with rack problems?

Cheers
DC

------------------
Glasgow
Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it would be rack if he busted the tie rod he probably could have bent the rack.it could also be jambed ball joints or bent control arms(lift the car and pull of the tie rod end see if the tire moves turn to turn if it moves smooth(if it doesn't it could be a ball joint or bent control arm) put the tie rod back on and see if it will still move smoothly you will have a little bit more resistance but it shouldn't stick)did he do any damage to the steering coulomb

Last edited by Fuse; 10-21-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:07 AM
ramrod35

I've now idea if the steering column was damaged. do you know how i could tell?

cheers
Old 10-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put it on the last reply
Old 10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Yea, I had the same type of problem with my CRX. I hit something on the right side of my car going around a curve, and it knocked my steering wheel out. I changed bot of my tie rods with new ones, change my ball joints and got it aligned.

BTW do you have a camber kit? If you do, get that aligned too.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:00 PM
ramrod35

I don't have a camber kit. it's just stock in that department. cheers for the advice. i'll have a look under the car this weekend to see if i can spot any bend in the rods etc.

did changing them over free up the steering again?