Notices

Headgasket??

Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgasket??

I noticed the front of my block on the driver's side was wet with coolant today. I did a compression test and of course because I have brand new rings in there Every cylinder was at 275/274 psi. I'm not getting any coolant in my oil, or oil in my coolant. I'm not getting any smoke out the exhaust and I'm not losing a noticable amount oil or coolant. And I didn't get any over heating in or out of boost after driving for about 2 hours.

I got a copper sprayed MLS headgasket with ARP head studs.

I wiped the area down and it came back after some hard driving.

Anyone got a diagnosis?

Last edited by Omniscient; 10-18-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 PM
95LSv
Banded

Are you sure thats where its coming from? For me it leaker from somewhere else to the headgasket area and it looked like the headgasket was leaking. Thats probably not it for you, but just in case h:
Old 10-19-2006, 01:06 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

possible leak from one of the coolant hoses?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:22 AM
raiden571
turning u inside out

its possible its coming from the head gasket. mine didnt seal all the way near where the tranny bolts to the block. im gonna just change it over the winter when im doing my other lil projects
Old 10-19-2006, 10:12 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I have had alot of people have the leaking hose problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by 95LSv
Are you sure thats where its coming from? For me it leaker from somewhere else to the headgasket area and it looked like the headgasket was leaking. Thats probably not it for you, but just in case h:
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's coming from inbetween the head and block. That's the only wet spot and it's on the front of the block on the timing side. There's no hoses over there, so the coolant would have to travel down the passenger side of the block, across my extremely hot turbo manifold and then off the side of the block.

Originally Posted by asiandoood
possible leak from one of the coolant hoses?
Yeah... I inspected and put new clamps on all the hoses and replaced the hoses that were leaking.

Originally Posted by raiden571
its possible its coming from the head gasket. mine didnt seal all the way near where the tranny bolts to the block. im gonna just change it over the winter when im doing my other lil projects
That's what I think happend. I think I might have gotten water or grease or something that smudged some of the copper spray or something.

Originally Posted by RedlineBoyzCRX
I have had alot of people have the leaking hose problem.
Yeah. It doesn't seem like a hose but as long as it's not fucking up my oil or compression I'm only gonna be driving it for another month tops. Then it's time to bust out the winter Jeep.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:36 AM
95LSv
Banded

Not meaning to hijack or anything, but why do you guys use copper spray on the headgasket? I didn't, is that going to be a problem? :noes: (none of our cars have leaked tho...)
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by 95LSv
Not meaning to hijack or anything, but why do you guys use copper spray on the headgasket? I didn't, is that going to be a problem? :noes: (none of our cars have leaked tho...)

it's an extra helper for the head gasket to seal, mine seems to have been holding up really well with it. I've talked to some others & they seem to be firm believers as well.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
ddd4114

Originally Posted by Omniscient
I got a copper sprayed MLS headgasket
That's probably your problem. Honda OEM MLS head gaskets are NOT supposed to be copper sprayed; they should be installed dry. The spray creates a slicker surface for the head and block mate with, which will weaken the seal substantially.

Another possibilty is head lift, but I think if it was head lift, you'd have other symptoms.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by ddd4114
That's probably your problem. Honda OEM MLS head gaskets are NOT supposed to be copper sprayed; they should be installed dry. The spray creates a slicker surface for the head and block mate with, which will weaken the seal substantially.

Another possibilty is head lift, but I think if it was head lift, you'd have other symptoms.
Mines not an OEM Honda MLS gasket. It's a Felpro I had special ordered from a parts store.

Anyway. I have no clue whats up with it. My temp never goes above 1/3 on the temp gauge and I've been beating the shit out of the car. Hopefully it lasts till mid November.

Last edited by Omniscient; 10-19-2006 at 12:05 PM.