Notices

NON urethane bushing replacements

Old 10-15-2006, 03:03 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NON urethane bushing replacements

Old rubber bushings are worn out... what options does a person have to replace the rubber bushings with rubber bushings to get back to the original comfort and performance, but NOT use urethane which have higher performance but lower comfort?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
m735is

Go with OEM bushings. You can either get them at the dealer or I get mine from Autohaus AZ and they come in Honda OEM bags, but less expensive. The you'll have to press them in. I have pounded the lower rear shock bushings in using a socket, but pressing would be easier.
I would check the cost of the complete piece you're replacing also, it may be cheaper to just buy the whole thing with bushings in there.

I may try the aluminum rear lower control arms with the rubber bushings in there, I'm just leary of the fact that they allow wider tires to be used, I just want the same dimensions as OEM, so I'm still hanging on to my OEM bushings.

I have to replace the poly ones I have because I don't like the ride.

Obviously this is just a general statement becuase I don't know what components you are replacing.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Yeah with the research I'm doing so far everyone is going back to OEM or Mugen bushings now. ES or Prothane bushings have been known to tear or wear out quicker than OEM bushings.

And goes to show why my 00 Civic Si started getting slower and felt like it handled llike crap these past couple of years. I'm going to put in OEM or Mugen for the autocross season next year.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:17 PM
chimchim

BTW, I have Mugen rear trailing arm bushings that I need to sell. Never used, and still new in box for a 96-00 civic. This is the large main bushing in the metal sleeve that allows the rear trailing arm to pivot.

Asking $60 + shipping.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 AM
chimchim

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Yeah with the research I'm doing so far everyone is going back to OEM or Mugen bushings now. ES or Prothane bushings have been known to tear or wear out quicker than OEM bushings.

And goes to show why my 00 Civic Si started getting slower and felt like it handled llike crap these past couple of years. I'm going to put in OEM or Mugen for the autocross season next year.
That's pretty interesting considering urethanes were touted (marketed) as "last forever" bushings.

Is this mostly the autox world you are talking about?

What is wearing out? the bushing or the components they are put in? I've been wondering about the lack of compliance urethane has and how the energy is going to go somewhere... either to bust the bushing, or to wear the metal components it's in. For example, the rear trailing arm bushings of the 5th & 6th gen civics are designed to also roll as well as pitch. Therefore the urethane replacements, which only have the pivot sleeve, don't allow the rolling needed as the strut compresses. Sure it'll "work with no problems" for awhile, but eventually it's going to wear something out, especially when it was DESIGNED to roll.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
CivicSiRacer

The problem is that any dirt of sorts getting in there starts to wear out the bushings. And since there is less compliance grease is really needed in them to prevent tearing.
Yes they will last forever if you plan on taking them apart every week, clean them, regrease them, and reinstall them. I do not know many people who will do that.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:16 PM
chimchim

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
The problem is that any dirt of sorts getting in there starts to wear out the bushings. And since there is less compliance grease is really needed in them to prevent tearing.
Yes they will last forever if you plan on taking them apart every week, clean them, regrease them, and reinstall them. I do not know many people who will do that.
That makes sense.

So... are urethane swaybar bushings less of an issue? Or the shifter bushings?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 PM
CivicSiRacer

The only one I wouldn't worry about is the shifter bushing. Any suspension bushing I'm planning on doing OEM or Mugen.