Notices

These leaks are the worst..

Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These leaks are the worst..

I drove my car to the gas station last night and when I was pulling out I noticed a small spot of oil on the ground. I got home and checked things out. I found the leak, it was my tuner toys fitting for the oil feed and gauge. I guess I didn't snug it in there good enough and it had a pretty damn good leak in it, pretty much steady 1 second interval drops.

The thing that scares me is there was oil all over my tranny on the outside and inside. I was panicing thinking it was my rear main seal.

So I wiped everything down so it was dry and put paper towels in nooks and crannies where I thought I might have a possible leak and left cardboard under the motor over night.

I looked at it before work and there was no more leaking or drops or wet spots except on the oil feed fitting. Then I got home from work and there still wasn't any spots. So then I started the car and let it warm up then I shut it off. Still, the only oil drop was from the back of the block where the fitting is.
~~

I'm fricken' praying that oil just got on the axles and tranny and threw oil all over the transmission. If it was the main seal I'm pretty sure it would leak if I started the car.

I also found a continuing wet spot on my distributor cap. It's right where the cap meets the aluminum distributor housing. I think it's just left over crap.
~~

Any sugestions or methods on testing some possible leak spots would be cool.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:08 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Ok my dealership we use this stuff called leak detector, Its basicly a liquid powder that dry white so if there is a leak u can see. Then it rinses off brake clean. The drip from the ditz could be the seals in the ditz going out.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i used high temp teflon on all my oil fittings. No problems here.

Eric didn't, he had the same issues that your having. Just make sure everything is snuged now & it will stop. I doubt it's your rear main seal. It's not really that common for it to leak.. & btw i use RTV on Everything!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by Running925
i used high temp teflon on all my oil fittings. No problems here.

Eric didn't, he had the same issues that your having. Just make sure everything is snuged now & it will stop. I doubt it's your rear main seal. It's not really that common for it to leak.. & btw i use RTV on Everything!
I use teflon on everything aswell I just didn't torque the fitting down to 13ftlbs. I can turn it by hand still. I'm pretty confident that it isn't my rear main. I never leave flywheel covers on so I felt my clutch and flywheel and they are dry. It must just be oil running off the axles and flywheel and shit.

I didn't RTV my seal in, just the cover that the seal sits in.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

if u get oil on your clutch pads u'r going to be replacing that clutch real soon.. it will destroy those pads!

put your flywheel cover back on b4 u break some shit all coz of a stupid little rock getting in there.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Originally Posted by Running925
if u get oil on your clutch pads u'r going to be replacing that clutch real soon.. it will destroy those pads!
It's weird because the clutch and flywheel are dry. It's gotta be oil running along the underside of the tranny and dripping off.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

it probly wouldn't stay wet long anyways, the centrifical force of it spinning 750 rotations per minute would be enough to fling it off of there, let alone the increase in speed when u rev the motor.