Notices

Auto to manual

Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
D166thgen
CAPiTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual

Doing a DIY auto to manual conversion in my 99 ex. Looking for some of the parts such as MC, SC, hydraulic line, arm to throw bearing, reservoir, etc. around here, and trying to find more of the stuff at import auto salvage. What i was going to do is put everything in from a manual 96-00 ex, including transmission and clutch components. Is there a transmission that will be more reliable or work better than the S20 from the 92-95 ex/si or the 96-00 ex? Like one from a b-series engine or something that might mate up well? What about the clutch components? Possibly the shift linkage? Just wondering if theres another model of honda out there that parts will work better from in this conversion and that are more reliable (not to say that the ex/si's aren't). Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by D166thgen
Doing a DIY auto to manual conversion in my 99 ex. Looking for some of the parts such as MC, SC, hydraulic line, arm to throw bearing, reservoir, etc. around here, and trying to find more of the stuff at import auto salvage. What i was going to do is put everything in from a manual 96-00 ex, including transmission and clutch components. Is there a transmission that will be more reliable or work better than the S20 from the 92-95 ex/si or the 96-00 ex? Like one from a b-series engine or something that might mate up well? What about the clutch components? Possibly the shift linkage? Just wondering if theres another model of honda out there that parts will work better from in this conversion and that are more reliable (not to say that the ex/si's aren't). Thanks.
if you dont even know that B doesnt go with D I would suggest doing ALOT more research using the magical SEARCH button.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
D166thgen
CAPiTA

Ive got all the information i need, and i know absolutely every part i need, let alone read up on every post i could find, i was just asking if it could possibly work, i figured the b seires transmissions would not mate up with a d-series block so i was just checking, thats all, im not a honda guru. Also i was just checking to see if maybe there was a more reliable transmission than the S20 from say another d-series motor. So thanks for the sarcasim.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Civic2Scooby

Ive got all the information i need, and i know absolutely every part i need, let alone read up on every post i could find, i was just asking if it could possibly work, i figured the b seires transmissions would not mate up with a d-series block so i was just checking, thats all, im not a honda guru. Also i was just checking to see if maybe there was a more reliable transmission than the S20 from say another d-series motor. So thanks for the sarcasim.
I wasnt being sarcastic. I really honestly truthfully want you to use the search button.

and the strongest D series trans is the 96+ EX/Si trans.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:19 AM
D166thgen
CAPiTA

Alright, ill take your advice, thanks. I want to use the 96-00 ex because the gears are smaller and a little more fun, although i think the 92-95 ex/si are small too. But how is the trans. from the 96-00 si going to work on my y8 block, when the si's is a b-series transmission, or are they similar enough to work on my ex?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:20 AM
D166thgen
CAPiTA

Where exactly are you in michigan?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Civic2Scooby

Alright, ill take your advice, thanks. I want to use the 96-00 ex because the gears are smaller and a little more fun, although i think the 92-95 ex/si are small too. But how is the trans. from the 96-00 si going to work on my y8 block, when the si's is a b-series transmission, or are they similar enough to work on my ex?
no the Si tranny wont work, only the 96+ EX tranny. It has the same gear ratio as the 92-95 EX/Si, but it has steel shift forks and a couple other upgraded parts internally that make it a bit stronger.

I am in East Lansing and Farmington Hills
Old 10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
D166thgen
CAPiTA

I gotcha, thats what i thought, well thanks for the help. Nice to see your from around here (kinda sorta).