Notices

Changing Head Gasket

Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Head Gasket

Had a wreck last week and radiator got punctured. I see where oil has run down my block, looking like it came from the head and now there is some red in it to. I had added some red coolant that we had in the barn, so that means I got oil mixing with my oil correct? Which means I have a blown head gasket correct? I used motor oil in my tranny so its not red so the only thing it could be is the antifreeze. Any suggestions? And if it is blown, how hard is it to change?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 93DituneEX
Had a wreck last week and radiator got punctured. I see where oil has run down my block, looking like it came from the head and now there is some red in it to. I had added some red coolant that we had in the barn, so that means I got oil mixing with my oil correct? Which means I have a blown head gasket correct? I used motor oil in my tranny so its not red so the only thing it could be is the antifreeze. Any suggestions? And if it is blown, how hard is it to change?
shouldnt mix red anti-freeze with regular green...ever.

and if you mixed them, than it wouldnt still be running red...

leak down test is where I would go next.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 AM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

What does mixing the different coolants do? How exactly do you do a leak down test?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a leak rad tester it pops on where the cap gos and then you pump up the system dont go over 20 psi you can moniter the psi if it drops you got a leak plus if it an external leak you can see it if its an internal leak watch the top of the pistons threw the plug hole.this will help you see if you need a head gasket.head gaskets are a little hard to change you have to re time the cam and get all the rite tork speks(i posted them a day or two a go for the b16 and h22 the header was tork spek help 10-11) also when you take it apart make shur its on tds this will make it easyer to put back to geater.is also a good idea to take the head to a machine shop and have it checked for worp if it badly worped and you just do a new gasket it will still leak. hope this will help a little

Last edited by Fuse; 10-13-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:08 AM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

Thanks, I dont think its leaking to be honest. My friend told me it would overheat after driving it a long time, would smoke, etc. I drive 45 to work and 45 miles home every day and drove it the two past two days and haven't seen the slightest rise in temp. and seen no smoke. Maybe i'm ok......hopefully.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool that would bee good news
Old 10-15-2006, 03:34 PM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

yep seems as though my vtec solenoid is leaking. Has been leaking since the engine was in my blue eg but its leaking pretty good now. Gonna replace the gasket, spray things down with brake cleaner and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 93DituneEX
yep seems as though my vtec solenoid is leaking. Has been leaking since the engine was in my blue eg but its leaking pretty good now. Gonna replace the gasket, spray things down with brake cleaner and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
if you mixed red and green I would very much recomend flushing the entire cooling system extremely thoroughly and replacing it with regular green antifreeze. When you mix Dexacool with regualar etholyne Glycol green anti freeze it has a tendency to destroy head gaskets.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:44 AM
93DituneEX
HIDs teh hotness!

I wanna wait til i replace the radiator which might be a minute. How long you think it will be ok to run with the mixed coolant? I can prolly get a coolant flush up at my work but guessed it to be smarter to wait til i get the new radiator. Input?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i've been told that mixing the coolants can create a jello like substance. It becomes thick & if u think about the thickness of that & the blades on your water pump.. it could be really bad stress on that & being that your water pump is ran by the timing belt, you could be increasing wear via strech in the timing belt. You might wanna research this a bit more but if it were my vehicle, i'd be chaning that shit out imeadiatly!