Notices

Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help?

Old 10-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Tr0LL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, and died on the freeway... help?

For the last month or two, when accelerating, it feels a bit weak at times (kind of like a stutter here and there when I floor it).

So while driving on the freeway on Thursday, my car goes CLUNK and jerks (kinda like a when you run out of gas)... then i press on the gas pedal and all i get is stuttering, no power, PUTT PUTT PUTT... so i drift over to the side of the freeway in neutral. car shut off while pulling over btw... so i try to start it up again and it cranks, but doesn't turn. I thought hmm, maybe I ran out of gas, so i walked and got 1 gallon of gas and poured it in. when I try to start the car, it cranks, and once in a while i hear the muffler make like a PUTT PUTT or some kind of sound like it's clogged... but motor won't turn over even when i pump the gas or whatevers... one time, i got the motor to start for like 2 seconds, and it died again...

Got it towed home and today I looked at it a little closer. I changed the spark plugs (my old ones were all black on top because I run rich) and poured another 2 gallons of gas in there. That means I should have a good 3 gallons at least in there. There is a pin size hole on the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the fuel rail. Fuel doesn't constantly spray out or anything, but once in a while I see a small spray come out. I'll replace the hose asap. But I don't think that's the problem.

Basically when I crank it, the car just cranks and cranks and once in a while, the muffler goes PUTT PUTT. Once in a blue moon, I do hear the car wanting to turn over. Like maybe for a split second.

Anyone know where I should go from here after changing the fuel hose? I'm thinking ignitor/bad distributor? Or is it possible my fuel pump died? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Btw, I have a B20B in a 93 Civic (EG) running a 93 Integra ECU. Car's been running great for like 2 years now. Timing belt was never changed if that matters.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check fuel psi should be above 25.check spark(hold ignition wire close to a good car ground).could also try spraying out cylinders with air(take out spark plugs spray with air and put air gun in cylinders and spray them out to if it floded)check cam timing and ignition timing 15 degres at idle.check injector pulse(take fuel rail of hold all four injectors into fuel rale you will need some frends and start car you sold see injectors fire in the order of 1342)and reply back
Old 10-08-2006, 01:54 PM
bliz
wish I was big time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds llike your fuel pump went out on ya. go onto e-bay. you can get a new stock replacement for like 50-60 bucks. hope this helps. don't do anything as dramatic as the last guy suggested. this should clear up any problems you have. only as a last resort try the other stuff but i think he is just guessing at your problem.

Last edited by bliz; 10-08-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Fuse

Originally Posted by bliz
it sounds llike your fuel pump went out on ya. go onto e-bay. you can get a new stock replacement for like 50-60 bucks. hope this helps. don't do anything as dramatic as the last guy suggested. this should clear up any problems you have. only as a last resort try the other stuff but i think he is just guessing at your problem.
come on overdoing it is fun and you learn shit
Old 10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
stereo

did you check if it has spark and fuel ?