Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Initial impression of the Toyo T1-S

Old 09-30-2002, 07:58 AM
DakarM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial impression of the Toyo T1-S

Mods if not appropriate for this forum please move to basement.

So I've put on approximately 600 miles now
2 trips to Sacramento and commuting with the car 75miles per day will do that in a week

The first 2 days I had the tire, they were quite noisy. At first I thought it was just because the tires were still new. I would take the freeway on-ramp at 45 and the rears sounded like squeeling pigs!

Saturday morning I checked the tire pressure on all for. The fronts were at 32psi the rears were at 32psi. Doh. I went down the gas station and increased them to 34 front and 35.5 rear. After that I drove to Sacramento.

Well what a difference a few pounds of air pressure makes The rears nolonger squeel like a pig The car as a whole has a lot more grip then it did the day before.

After about 500miles I did a quick start (about 1900~2000rpm take off) getting on the freeway and wow! With the dunflops I would have gotten mostly wheel spin. The Toyos just chirped for a sec and griped! Very impressive.

I can't wait til next weekend for the autoX now

I've gotten my SAG back which I was slowly losing for the past year or so
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:23 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

It takes about 500-1000 miles to get the coating off the tires. But yeah air pressure will make wonders on a tire.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:22 PM
DakarM

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
It takes about 500-1000 miles to get the coating off the tires. But yeah air pressure will make wonders on a tire.

I should have about 1100miles before the autoX. I can't wait
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:51 PM
stephan
:exnbp:

Where were the toyos purchased/
Old 09-30-2002, 05:22 PM
rick
not noob?

Originally posted by exnbp
Where were the toyos purchased/

from treadepot.com

but if are you looking to get some new tires I would also check out Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....+Pole+Position

Most people seem to agree that the S-03s are one step ahead of the T1-S and the price is similar. The S-03s are about $10 less or so per tire right now.

For example: from tirerack.com S-03s 205/55WR15 $102

From treadepot.com Toyo T1-s 205/55R15 $ 119.00

I went with T1-S based on a friends recommendation who also had a M Coupe.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:46 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Don't know if you guys know the Speed World Challenge cars use them (shaved of course). I knew someone last year who tried them for autocross and he said they stuck pretty well, but for the price you could find cheaper tires.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:23 PM
VTEC

I was gonna do a tire comparo between 195/50-15 T-1S and S-03 at Buttonwillow during Hybrid Track Day #3, but unfortunately, a stubborn S-03 just did not want to mount on a Civic Si rim. The result? Scratched up Si rim (that was mint/perfect) and no comparo.

I have about 3000 miles on my set, and I will try to get an S-03 replacement so I can do a comparison at Hybrid Track Day #4 at Buttonwillow the day after Thanksgiving. I will try to get the S-03 mounted so I can drive around on them before taking it to the track.

But for the T-1S, my initial impression was that they were slow in turn in. Of course, 32psi front and rear was the culprit. I personally prefer quick turn-in characteristics, and use 42psi front and 38-40psi in the rear. On the way up to Buttonwillow (4hour drive), I increased the pressure and boy, it was night and day!

I am looking forward to this comparison...I hope I can get it done.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:58 PM
rick
not noob?

The toyos did okay. Better then the stock dunlop 8080e but of course not as good as R-compounds

on saturday I was getting crazy understeering problems. a lot more then with the dunlops.

on the advice of a fellow m coupe driver i drop the rear to 32psi and left the fronts at 36psi.

oh boy night and day is right! there was still a bit of understeer but no where nearly as much. but on my las run i had a slight oversteering problem.

on sunday I set the pressure to 34rear and 38 front and that made the car much much happier.

at last I need more camber because this is what happened to the toyos

Old 10-06-2002, 09:31 PM
VTEC

Are those the rears? Rear tires generally have that curling at the tread block edges. I don't get those on the fronts because I guess they get scrubbed out during hard driving.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:48 PM
stephan
:exnbp:

Looks like my front tires from this mornings autocross. Although I did rotate them last week. Are FWD's supposed to get those on the front or back? Or does it depend on teh camber settings?