Notices

manual swap into a 95 del sol si

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM
bliz
wish I was big time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual swap into a 95 del sol si

Hi I'm looking for info on a manual swap for my del sol.
I am wondering if I should put in a hydraulic or cable trans.
also if you know any one that is selling a trans that will mount
to my d16z6 please let me know. thanks
Derek.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:49 AM
2gr84u
2gr84u

well the direct swap would be a hydro trans, youd have to be swaping in a old zc motor to use a cable trans
Old 10-07-2006, 10:46 PM
bliz
wish I was big time

hey thanks for the help man, i need all i can get. i just though manual would be the best way to go for a turbo z6. i'm gonna be pushing 10 psi and need my drive train to hold together launching.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Ok, here's the deal, don't listen to ANYONE!!!!
I did the swap about 5 years ago on my 93 del sol Si that I picked up as a daily driver. After I blew the tranny, I knew it was time to change it over.

Just pull the motor and tranny at the same time. It will save you lots of headaches. Get the tranny off and remove the torque converter and flex plate from the motor. Then install the 5spd flywheel and clutch like you would on any other 5spd. Mate the new tranny up, and bolt it in place.
Using a cable tranny will complicate this immensely. Use any D series hydro tranny you want.
Go to a junkyard and grab all three pedals. If you just do the clutch pedal, you'll have to saw off part of the brake pedal so it doesn't get in the way of the clutch. It's ugly. Just do it right and get all three pedals (gas and brake are one assembly).
Also get the clutch master cylinder, and the hydraulic lines off the firewall, and up the tranny side frame rail, including the flexible line, and the hard line and slave cylinder that will be bolted to the new tranny. On your car, there will be a block off plate where the master cylinder goes on the firewall. Unbolt it and throw it away. Start installing all of the parts you got at the junkyard.
Now you have two options.
A) drop the motor in and force the motor mounts to flex enough to bolt it up. (been there, done that, it sits crooked and looks stupid as hell)
B) drill out the spot welds on the tranny mount on the frame rail. Get the correct one from honda or a junkyard willing to drill it out for you. Messure on another del sol where to place the mount and weld it in.

Drop the motor in. After that, you can setup the shift linkage. It should have all of the mounting holes already tapped for you. Put it all in.

The old axles will work just fine.

You can either modify your ecu to be a 5spd ecu, or you can get a different one. Hondata had it on their website when I did mine, so check there on a how to. It's cutting one resistor and adding a jumper if I remember right.

The car will still think that it is not in park, so it will start and drive at this point, but you will not be able to remove the key. Get a chilton/haynes manual. Both have a diagram that has the pin out of the electrical connections on the plug you disconnected from the auto shifter. If you get two paper clips and plug them into the stock plug, you can connect it so the car thinks it is in park at all times. But it will definitely be two connections.
After that, you just need to get the shift boot and ring that holds it in place on the center console, plus a seal for the shifter and you're done.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i've done this swap a couple times.. i've posted Tons & Tons of shit on this topic. SEARCH it!