Notices

Which cams, CTR or Crower Stg 2

Old 10-04-2006, 06:11 AM
vietnamese_boi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which cams, CTR or Crower Stg 2

Hey guys, I was thinking of putting in some cams. It's either CTR from B16B2 or Crower stg 2 cams. Any thoughts or experience with these cams anyone? thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

how on earth would someone be able to give you good advice on this when they don't have any idea what other modifications you have done to your car. Nobody would have a clue which cams would compliment your other mods!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
vietnamese_boi

ahh my fault, i forgot, 00 civic si b16a2, no internal mods, basic upgrades, i/h/e
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddy club spec 3+ are supposed to be good with stock or near-stock compression. (I should know, but I'm too poor to get mine tuned h: )

Probably a more pertinent question is what you plan to do to the motor in the future? Cams can be a pricey upgrade once you consider the cost of appropriate valve springs and retainers. If you're not otherwise building the motor (i.e. higher compression, head porting) you're spending a lot of money on just a few ponies.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Kabooki

Originally Posted by vietnamese_boi
Hey guys, I was thinking of putting in some cams. It's either CTR from B16B2 or Crower stg 2 cams. Any thoughts or experience with these cams anyone? thanks
im gonna bet crower will make a better piston than any stock piston as far as durability goes. Other than that its all about compression Higher=More powa. Look into what stock cr is on CTR pistons then go a little higher with the crower and you are set.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Kabooki
im gonna bet crower will make a better piston than any stock piston as far as durability goes. Other than that its all about compression Higher=More powa. Look into what stock cr is on CTR pistons then go a little higher with the crower and you are set.
Yep, Crower makes quality equipment: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1646136&page=1

OEM cams for me. h:
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 PM
vietnamese_boi

So yea, thanks for the replies. I decided and got the ctr cams, both intake and exhaust. I was wondering if I should replace the valvetrain also? I should be fine with the stock but I heard ctr cams make power pass 8200rpm.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:18 AM
lowbrow
12:00AM Atlanta time...

They do - mine make power all the way to 100 rpm before the rev limiter.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:21 PM
vietnamese_boi

still wondering if i should replace my valvesprings? I read somwehere that stock b16 intake valvesprings are dual, not the exhaust, should I just get a set of duals for the exhaust side? I'm gonna just keep the current rev limit, mayb only raise it up a little later on. thanks guys
Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by vietnamese_boi
still wondering if i should replace my valvesprings? I read somwehere that stock b16 intake valvesprings are dual, not the exhaust, should I just get a set of duals for the exhaust side? I'm gonna just keep the current rev limit, mayb only raise it up a little later on. thanks guys
It is a good idea to change out the valvesprings, but not entirely necessary. The B16 intake springs are the same as the ITR exhaust springs, so you can transfer those to the exhaust side and just purchase a set of ITR intake springs. Or you could just go aftermarket.