Notices

msd ignition

Old 09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
95LSv
Banded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd ignition

My gsr motor is going into my eg soon and I was wondering if its good to invest into a msd ignition system. The motor itself is very midly built... Has ITR internals in head (cams, valves springs, etc), ferrea valves, stock gsr bottom block, Intake, 4-1 header... Now I want to get some more power, would and upgraded ignition system be able to offer this? If so what should I get? (msd spark plug cap and rotor, external coil...) PS I already have the msd wires.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

No. Aftermarket ignition systems are worthless unless you have gobs of hp.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:28 PM
HeavyFooted
That's what its all about

Originally Posted by 95LSv
My gsr motor is going into my eg soon and I was wondering if its good to invest into a msd ignition system. The motor itself is very midly built... Has ITR internals in head (cams, valves springs, etc), ferrea valves, stock gsr bottom block, Intake, 4-1 header... Now I want to get some more power, would and upgraded ignition system be able to offer this? If so what should I get? (msd spark plug cap and rotor, external coil...) PS I already have the msd wires.
As an upgrade no, if you are going to replace those items, then dishing out a lil extra for those might be sufficient, but for big power gains the money is better spent else where.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

just replace the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor with oem pieces. they work perfectly fine for any power output you can hope to achieve.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
CivicRacr

i hear some honda drag cars still use stock ignition systems
Old 09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by CivicRacr
i hear some honda drag cars still use stock ignition systems
Yeah, some of them do. I have seen guys on honda-tech pumping out 700 whp still on stock ignitions. The only time you really need to think about upgrading is when you can't prevent misfires from closing the plug gap down anymore. The boost will blow out the spark, so an upgrade would be a good idea.

Most guys that have MSD ignitions for no reason have tons of problems and end up going back to an OEM ignition system anyway.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:34 AM
95LSv
Banded

Thanx schmoo... I would have spent all that money and it wouldn't have really made a difference. I just head all these stories of better gas mileage, and more power, etc... So when would it be necessary to use upgraded ignition?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by 95LSv
Thanx schmoo... I would have spent all that money and it wouldn't have really made a difference. I just head all these stories of better gas mileage, and more power, etc... So when would it be necessary to use upgraded ignition?
When you have a snail as big as your head and putting out 700+ hp. In other words, never.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
When you have a snail as big as your head and putting out 700+ hp. In other words, never.
Agreed!