Notices

Cam Seal Question

Old 09-25-2006, 09:53 AM
sgtpeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Seal Question

Hi,

I have a 95 Sol S with a D15B7 engine. I have everything taken apart for replacing the timing belt. I'm thinking it will be a good idea to go ahead and replace the crankshaft and cam seals since I'm in there and I have 99K miles. However, I can only pull up info on one cam seal, on the belt side. Isn't there one on the distributor side I need to replace? My Haynes manual isn't helping me on this, and the Honda diagrams I'm using from thehondapartsstore.com don't show anything under the distributor or camshaft parts views. A name or part number will be most welcome. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Buyimports2

I don't think so. On my b18b there is only one cam seal because the other cam hooks up to the distributer.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

due to the fact that you have a single cam motor, the passenger side is sealed with an o-ring on the dizzy & the driver side is sealed with a larger o-ring style seal that is around te cam it self & placed in a groove in the head & valve cover, they usually don't leak, in the event that they do, i would just clean the surface & use some high temp rtv! Unless it is leaking on the center portion, then the rtv won't work & you will have to actually replace it. You will most likley have to either take the cam gear off or take the cam out of the engine to do this.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 AM
sgtpeeper

Thanks for the info. The cam seal has a very, very slight leak around the outside edge. Frankly, I'd rather not replace it or the crankshaft seal (which isn't leaking). I figured it would be a good idea since I'm already in there. It's a tough call, especially since I'm not even sure how much longer I'll be driving it. Maybe I should just leave them?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

i would at least take care of the one thats leaking..

my daily driver 95dx (d15b7) has 245,000 miles & 0 leaks

if it ain't broke don't fix it, leave the good one alone!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Civic2Scooby

your dizzy seals one side, and as for the other side honda cam seals are well known for leaking...I would go get a tube of hondabond and an STR cam seal and toss it in there for good measure...grand total of about 40 bucks if that.