Notices

Acura '98 RL with no heat

Old 09-23-2006, 05:58 PM
pepsigirl1252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura '98 RL with no heat

Help! My car has no heat. I have checked to see if the heater core is clogged, it is not, nor is it leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the cause of no heat in the car? Could it be a sensor? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:47 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

When you switch from cool to hot, do hear any noise?? A relay clicking? A small motor kicking on?? I'm in no way familiar with this car, but just throwing some ideas of what i'd try.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:06 AM
pepsigirl1252

Thank you for the suggestion! I don't believe there is a noise when I'm changing. I will check the relay. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:37 AM
MTEng

How are you sure the heater core's working? Did you feel heat somewhere?? You should be able to put the vents on "fresh air" when driving and get (warm) airflow through into the car.

Over the years the heater control valve (#1 in the pic) has been a common cause of this problem. It's cheap and easy to replace, too. Might look there.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:29 AM
pepsigirl1252

I am assuming the heater core is working as there is no leak on the floor... There is no warm air that comes through the car when I put in on the fresh air selection. Thank you for this information and the picture as well! I will check this part and hopefully this will solve my problem. I will post back with results and if you have any other information to pass on please do so as winter is coming!!
Thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
MTEng

If the heater control valve is working and there's no major clog somewhere you should feel the hoses getting hot when you turn to hot. If you can verify that you're circulating water through the heater core then it might be something in the vents. Maybe they're not opening properly or something. Start with the basics and go from there.