Notices

HELP!!! MY CAR IS SMOKING!!! RUNN!!! (pics)

Old 09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Coldsun
Rolling Senseless

Location: The Home of 911, the place of the Lost Towers, we still banging we never lost power! Rockland NY..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! MY CAR IS SMOKING!!! RUNN!!! (pics)

1994 Honda Accord Lx
Coupe, Lowered 2.2 in the front, 2 in the back
160kmiles

Ok so my car has been overheating for a while actually... but it was weird... like it would cool down when i was driving faster.. anyway...
I got in my car today.. and D4 started blinking....I think what the hell? then I notice my Heat gauge is reading super hot.... I drive a bit more and the Check Engine light comes on (NOOOOOOOO!!!!!) then Smoke starts coming out of my car...
I pop the hood and this is what i see

That cable was initially crazy hot... and Blowing out smoke at a amazing rate... It seems like it melted off or something

Now i am thinking... Hmmm I guess i just stick that cable back in that hole when it stops... Am i right?? What the hell happened??? What is that white container? and whats in it...

I know D4 means something with the transmission right... Any ideas what it could be... I read that it could just be the main relay... can anyone walk me through the install if thats what you think it is? And Why is my car overheatin all crazy??
Thanks guys
-Sun
Old 09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
burtonseven03

That little white tank is the back up coolant reservoir, it holds extra coolant/antifreeze. The smoke means your car is overheating which probaly means you need to add more coolant/antifreeze, other wise this will happen everytime you drive. If it happens again after you refill the radiator, then you have a leak somewhere or a bad water pump.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:20 PM
ksolo101

make sure your fans are running (the ones that cool off the radiator)
and anoher possibility is a bad thermostat
Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you overheated the hell out of your motor ,like you said it's been overheating for a while most likely you blew the headgasket but for now I would stop driveing the car until you fix the cause of the overheating sould be as simple as the fans not coming on or a bad thermostat but either case have the car checked out for the overheating problem asap.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 AM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

bad thermostat or leaky radiator.... D4 blinking means ur tranny is going soon
Old 09-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Coldsun
Rolling Senseless

Location: The Home of 911, the place of the Lost Towers, we still banging we never lost power! Rockland NY..

The D4 light only comes on when the car is Way overheating.. I discovered that today, then shortly after the Check engine light will come on...

I started changing the antifreeze today... And while i was going through the motions of cleaning it out... I noticed all the smoking that is happening in the engine is coming from the Backup coolant reservior.... Like it will start to hiss and leak and them smoke????
Whats going on?
I brought a new thermostat Just in case.. i have yet to install it
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by Coldsun
The D4 light only comes on when the car is Way overheating.. I discovered that today, then shortly after the Check engine light will come on...

I started changing the antifreeze today... And while i was going through the motions of cleaning it out... I noticed all the smoking that is happening in the engine is coming from the Backup coolant reservior.... Like it will start to hiss and leak and them smoke????
Whats going on?
I brought a new thermostat Just in case.. i have yet to install it
The backup reservior only supplies coolant if the radiator needs it(the tube used to suck it in caused by pressure).....or if it needs to release pressure then thats where the reservior comes in again. But the fact that it's "hissing" means it's extremely hot, no circulation at all and its not the reservior that's "hissing" it only plastic....its your radiator....either you have a leak and need a new one, water pump broke and no matter how much coolant you put in, it wont go anywhere, or thermostat isn't opening when you reach operating temp......but I agree with the guys, not until you fix it don't drive it or you're gonna add a new engine to the list of things you need to replace
Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Coldsun
Rolling Senseless

Right... Thanks for the Reply...
I know the reservior is plastic.. maybe i worded it wrong.. But You see in the pictures... that little hose going into the reservior... prior to that picture it was letting out a GREAT amount of steam/smoke... Since then i have reconnected the hose... The car still over heats... but since the hose is in, I just seem steam and smoke arising from the reservior area... Like that area will be really hot, and damp and smoking, and i think if i pulled the hose out it would belt hot steam into my face... understand?
does this change anything... Cause the radiator is fairly new... I'ma attempt to change the thermostat early in the morning tomorrow...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by Coldsun
Right... Thanks for the Reply...
I know the reservior is plastic.. maybe i worded it wrong.. But You see in the pictures... that little hose going into the reservior... prior to that picture it was letting out a GREAT amount of steam/smoke... Since then i have reconnected the hose... The car still over heats... but since the hose is in, I just seem steam and smoke arising from the reservior area... Like that area will be really hot, and damp and smoking, and i think if i pulled the hose out it would belt hot steam into my face... understand?
does this change anything... Cause the radiator is fairly new... I'ma attempt to change the thermostat early in the morning tomorrow...
If your radiator is new and after installing the thermostat doesn't change anything.....I'm 90% sure it's your waterpump
Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Head Gasket h: