Notices

Want a Fit- insurance for mods- tuner cars question

Old 09-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Shelsey Walsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a Fit- insurance for mods- tuner cars question

Hi

First post

I am about to take the plunge ad order a Fit Sport 5sp, yea I know I will have to wait. I currently have a stock WRX 03 and have a 50 mile each way daily commute. I want a stealty fun car so looking at the Fit as an ongoing mod project/hobby.

Where do you go to insure modified cars? I am 40 plus, clean record no accidents, high performance course advanced driving etc etc. I know some people work on the dont ask dont tel tell re mods, but I am happliy married famly guy 3 small girls and do nt want to end up god forbid with coverage refused by an Insurance Company due to mods. Any one here been in the pame posiiton, who should talk to any recommended companies? Go straight to SEMA, SCCA, NOPI? The tuner mod scene is so big, I cant believe there is no solution, but I just can't find it.

Many thanks

Shelsey Walsh
Old 09-01-2006, 05:07 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Well first off, welcome to HAN.

As for insurance - I do not update them with any modifications unless it will "lower" insurance such as adding an alarm system. I have friends in the industry who note that those who performancy modify their car and let the insurance company know their rates eventually go up (not just for the cost of the mods added to the car but the intent of those mods to make the car faster, thus meaning you will drive faster.) Your modifications mainly make the car faster or look faster raising the power/performance factor.

Just remember the insurance companies are there to make profit - however altruistic they may sound by being there for the moment you need them - you will always pay somehow. Just note that if you are involved in a lot of accidents (even if they are not your fault and the other driver's party pays for the damages) your rates will go up. If you make too many claims they will raise your rates or drop you b/c you are not a "profitable" candidate.

I have had several modified cars over time and never updated the insurance companies records. I also have a track car and no insurance on it b/c the rates are outrageous.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 AM
wcooksey

I don't think you should update either. Unlike a house, the car will not gain value over time, so no worries on eventually being under insured. If you race your 17 year old child in your modified Fit and wrap it around a tree, the insurance company isn't going to deny your claim because it had been boosted or something.

William
98 Civic EX
Old 09-08-2006, 02:33 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

what degree of mods are we talking about?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:43 AM
supapoopa
Nissan: Shift_Recall

Take lots of pictures (with Lic. plate visible for exterior items) and keep all of your receipts to keep a record of whats on your car. That helped me a lot when my car was stolen for little things like wheels, tires, stereo equip, suspension parts. If your getting into engine swaps and other larger modifications, then I'm not sure how your insurance will take it without being reported. Good insurance company with full coverage took care of me.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my insurance asked me if i had installed anythign else when my car was stolen. and i know for a fact my cousin didnt tell them prior to his civic getting stolen of his new HU and wheels, but they still shelled out the extra 2k when he claimed it.

as long as you have reciepts and the modifications arent the reason for what happened they'll most likely cover it. but don't expect them to be nice about it.