Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

1992 GSR quarter mile time?

Old 08-14-2006, 10:49 PM
rascal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 GSR quarter mile time?

I own a white 2nd gen. GSR. it's in great condition.

the only performance modifications are an AEM cold air intake and a borla boomer series muffler.

I havent run the car at the track yet ( i will after headers)

to get an idea, I raced my friends 98 svt contour and beat it, along with a 2000 v6 mustang with dual straight pipes.

can anybody give me an estimated time? also, what would you suggest for my next investment? headers, pulley kit, clutch kit (the clutch on the car has never been changed).

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:45 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Since the stock G2 GSR ran to 60 in 7.5s and did the quarter-mile in 15.7, with an average run you're probably at around 15.4... which is neck in neck with the Contour and Stang V6.

Forget about the underdrive pullies. Instead, find a quality exhaust header, then I'd start looking at aftermarket cams and headwork.

Lastly, race responsibly -- take it to the track.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:47 PM
dmacaalay
Monkey See, Monkey Do!

1/4 mile track time depends on too many factors.. but id say somewhere around the mid 15's if you needed a probable answer if youre looking just to get a little quicker, throw on all the bolt-ons.. I/H/E.. dont waste time or money on the pulleys.. if youre set on making big hp #'s, youre gonna have to open up the motor and throw in some goodies.. WOAH.. DAVE beat me to it while i was typing my post.. haha.. SNEAKY DAVE.. jk..
Old 08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
g290ls
they call me tater salad

^^^ x2 you would be looking at mid 15's but once you open her up with new cams, retainers, etc youw ill see big improvements
Old 08-16-2006, 03:47 PM
fastback

Don't change the clutch unless it is worn out.

I have AEM underdrive pulleys on this car because the guy I bought it from put them on there and I don't have a good reason to replace them - but I don't think they make enough of a difference to be of any real benefit.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:52 PM
GREATEDDY

I have install alot of different pulley sets on Honda motors and I have found the most noticable difference with the AEM pulley set is in the steering. Because AEM replaces the top and not the bottom your not loosing alot of weight, however if you have power steering and want a better feel then I do suggest changing them over to the AEM. The underdrive on the power steering slows the pump down and give you better feed back. On a street driven car you should not change the bottom pulley. If your building a true race engine then changing the bottom pulley to lighter one can make a big difference, and a real race engine doesnt get the mileage a daily driver gets and is taken apart often so the oil pump can be checked and or changed regularly. If you want to improve time you may want to consider a clutch and light flywheel. I lighter flywheel can give you more hp then most pulley kits.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 AM
fastback

On the street is the key phrase there - for the street, pulleys are definitely not the FIRST place you would look. On a track only car, it is likely to actually serve a purpose, eeking out the last bit of HP and rotational mass reduction, etc... AFTER the other normal upgrades have been done.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Little-o

What changes will most affect torque?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by Little-o
What changes will most affect torque?
bigger bore and/or stroke. or boost.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:53 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by :snoopy:
bigger bore and/or stroke. or boost.
flip those around. boost is an easier undertaking lately than boring or stroking, there just arent enough machine shops around anymore.

Quick Reply: 1992 GSR quarter mile time?