Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

tire question

Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 PM
94blueteg
screwed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire question

quick question. my car is thorougly stock suspension wise, and the dampers are probably on the way out. i got alot of "you got a shit load of body-roll goin on there man" comments at the last event (first time in the car) and i plan to buy a set of koni yellows from a friend once hes ready to get rid of them but it might not be for a while... definitely not before the next event. right now i got a set of all seasons on for tires, and i plan to get a set of azenis (presumably after the konis) but now that im gonna be waiting on the konis, would it be wise to put the stickier tires on without the stiffer suspension to back it up? my concerns are A. how safe would this be? because ive heard horror stories of too much grip with a sloppy suspension ending up in a rollover... and B. is it worth it in terms of handling, would the tires be able to do thier thing even if they have to pick up the slack from the crappy suspension? thanks guys

wes

mohawk-hudson scca, GS #11

heres a pic of the event. 3 wheelin' for sure, but the body roll wasnt too bad in this section of the course.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:10 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

shocks arent going to help you nearly as much as tires. Get the tires and learn to drive on that suspension, you will appreciate the konis more and you will be a better driver.

Rubber is the single best investment you can make in your car at almost any time. (besides tightening the nut behind the wheel)

and street tires (azenis) shouldnt provide enough grip for rollover. in stock classes competitors are running STOCK suspension on race rubber. MUCH stickier tires on likely worse suspension (honda accords and the like arent going to be setup as nicely as a teg out of the box)
Old 08-11-2006, 07:09 AM
94blueteg
screwed

awesome. just needed some input on that, thanks man. the incident of the rollover i was talking about was a dodge neon on a set of slicks with a completely stock suspension that rolled on an autocross course around here 3 years ago... im not really sure what other factors played a part, possibly something broken, but i just didnt wanna run the risk of that happening. thanks again

wes
Old 08-12-2006, 02:50 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally Posted by 94blueteg
awesome. just needed some input on that, thanks man. the incident of the rollover i was talking about was a dodge neon on a set of slicks with a completely stock suspension that rolled on an autocross course around here 3 years ago... im not really sure what other factors played a part, possibly something broken, but i just didnt wanna run the risk of that happening. thanks again

wes
proly the nut behind the wheel got loose. In showroom stock class people are turning 100 mph on stock suspension and race rubber and I can't say ive seen a rollover in that. I've heard of a few at auto x but its usually because people are just butchering their cars.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

There are so many variables for cars rolling at an autocross. First the pavements are not as perfect as some tracks. I heard of a car rolling (VW JETTA) when it got sideways and hit a divet or bump on the parking lot. It was on R tires on stock suspension.

Sometimes body roll is good too. It's not all bad.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:29 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
There are so many variables for cars rolling at an autocross. First the pavements are not as perfect as some tracks. I heard of a car rolling (VW JETTA) when it got sideways and hit a divet or bump on the parking lot. It was on R tires on stock suspension.

Sometimes body roll is good too. It's not all bad.
When is that?