Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2007 Acura TL Type S

Old 08-07-2006, 01:02 AM
DamnAccord
Closet Gun Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was waiting for this news. I like it but for 39k and when you add up tax and junk, it'll be close to maybe 41-42k? I don't know if I'm willing to pay that much for a TL. For the money, I'd probably want to get something else for that much money or if I still wanted the TL, I'd rather get the base model which is still a good car.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:47 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think this new 3.5 will be best suited for the sutomatic models-- i'd expect it to be as fast if not faster than the 6-speed base and have about as much of the same torque steer.

wait until the next generation for RWD
Old 08-07-2006, 06:55 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
seems like honda can't satisfy anyone. they want to try to move acura upmarket then people cry that their cars are too expensive. they stay in the same spot and people will just call them souped up hondas.

Yet they sell about 70,000 TL's/model year. The TL is a very good car. When you consider all of the standard features (Bluetooth, DVD-Audio system, memory driver's seat and mirrors) that most of if not all of it's competitors in it's price class make only in option packages or not at all, added to the fact it's the best looking of all the cars in this class next to the IS series, it's easy to see why they sell well.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

for 39K, I'd have to lean towards an IS350.

if size is an issue, then the TL seems to have the most bang for the buck
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
for 39K, I'd have to lean towards an IS350.

Yes, but you can't get a stick shift on the 350. That's another reason the TL sells. You can get a manual transmission to satisfy us purists .

I agree, there are other cars out there that offer more power, rear wheel drive, or something else you can't get with the TL. But for those of us who are stick shift snobs and refuse to drive an automatic, (even if it's a better car), the TL is about the only car for us.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally Posted by fastball
Yes, but you can't get a stick shift on the 350. That's another reason the TL sells. You can get a manual transmission to satisfy us purists .

I agree, there are other cars out there that offer more power, rear wheel drive, or something else you can't get with the TL. But for those of us who are stick shift snobs and refuse to drive an automatic, (even if it's a better car), the TL is about the only car for us.
thats what i dont understand. the articel states 5spd auto standard, and manual shift controls for the other models. does that mean no 6spd?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:02 AM
asianautica

Originally Posted by fastball

I don't think a purist would consider a large heavy FWD car even with manual. Audi, BMW, and Infiniti all have 6MT option. So TL is not the only one. Maybe Lexus will release a manual version later, just like the did with the IS300 and release the 6MT after the auto.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by Samson
thats what i dont understand. the articel states 5spd auto standard, and manual shift controls for the other models. does that mean no 6spd?
i hope there's a 6 speed. but maybe the current transmission can't handle the extra power? :dunno: that doesn't sound likely.

the article has no pictures, and doesn't mention any changes to the base TL. isn't it supposed to get a refresh? i can't wait to see the official announcement, and how the reviews come out.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like i said before the suto will most likely bebetter suited for a high torque high horsepower FF design
Old 08-07-2006, 12:14 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

The TL is not a car for those who like manual shift. Go with a TSX, you can play with the gears and corners all day.

$40K TL might sound pricey, but they are moving the high-end TL upmarket to close the gap between the base TL and the RL in terms of price range.
Soon, the TSX will be over $30K as well.

American Honda has been wanting this for some time: jettison the Integra/RSX rocket booster and fly off into Lexusspace! :chuckles:

I'm not going to bish about it, because the company could use some cash cows. They weren't interested in giving us a warning. If you want another Acura and don't want to see a lot of $50K cars in the showroom, then buy now! The current lineup is pretty nice, if you like sedans.

Gas prices look like they will continue to rise, and as Ford and GM produce fewer cars, then the price of all cars in the US, particularly Hondas and Toyotas [including Acura and Lexus models] are going to keep rising!

Inflation, man.

Quick Reply: 2007 Acura TL Type S