Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Bright spot in paint

Old 07-25-2006, 07:14 AM
oholdeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright spot in paint

Someone keyed my car this weekend and I used some heavy duty turtle wax rubbing compound on the area. It left a bit of a bright spot (light horizontal swirl marks)? Is there any way I can fix this easily or at least make it look a bit better?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Detailed Image
Registered

Originally Posted by oholdeno
Someone keyed my car this weekend and I used some heavy duty turtle wax rubbing compound on the area. It left a bit of a bright spot (light horizontal swirl marks)? Is there any way I can fix this easily or at least make it look a bit better?
You'll need to use finer and finer polishes to remove those marks. Something like Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 combo or Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II would be great options. Rubbing compound has such large abrasives that it leavs those marks behind, kind of like sanding with 600 grit and not following up with 1500 and 2000 grit to finish it off.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. For future reference, never use rubbing compound on your paint as a goto step there are much safer measures to take before using a compound such as the polishes i recommended.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
oholdeno

should i apply vigorously with the "higher grit" rubbing compounds? will it damage the paint at all?

i didn't particularly press very hard with the heavy duty turtle wax compound, as i did know there was some chance of taking off the paint completely somehow.