Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY SCS Service Connector and SRS Reset

Old 07-23-2006, 01:47 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY SCS Service Connector and SRS Reset

An SCS Service Connector is used to reset your SRS light, which every Honda owner will eventually end up having to do. The dealer charges anywhere from $65 to $95 to do this, I'll show you how to do it for under $10.00. First you need to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and pick up some late model Honda speaker harnesses by Metra. The Metra model number is 72-7802. Cut the female disconnects off the ends of the speaker harnesses and strip about a half inch of jacket off of the wire. Twist the wire together and tape up the bare wire, you now have an SCS Service Connector for quite a but less than what Honda would have charged for one.

Now I'll show you how to reset the light. We've allready done the 1st step by making the SCS Connector.
You'll need to find the MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector.
It is a yellow connector with two wires in it that is plugged into the back of the driver's side fuse box, unplug it and pull it down. Once you have done that you can begin the process of erasing the memory. Here's a diagram for clearer understanding.

1st step in erasing the memory is to turn the ignition off and connect the SCS Service connector to the MES Plug,

2nd Turn Ignition on. SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds then go off.

3rd Disconnect SCS service connector for MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS indicator light goes off. SRS indicator light will come on again.

4th Reconnect SCS service connector the MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS light comes on. SRS indicator light will go off.

5th Disconnect SCS service connector from MES connector within 4 seconds. SRS indicator light will indicate that memory is erased by blinking 2 times.

6th Turn ignition off, and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle like normal and light should come on and go out like normal. You have reset your SRS light, congrats.

It worked first time for me. If it doesn't work first time, try again. The timing has to be pretty precise. Doing it with the connector I made is much easier that using a paper clip to jump the connector. Good Luck
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Here's a diagram of where the connector is located. It's easy to find once your up there.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
fjm1
G35

Excellent Post, thank you!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 AM
edulerp87
Smokin Lude

thank god you saved me a buck!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:45 PM
bksaccount

Does anyone know where the MES Connector is on a 1995 Prelude? There is a 2wire yellow harness but it connects into a plug that has 2 pins inside, so I don't think that's the right MES connector.

However, i tried that connector but the instructions didn't work. Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:23 PM
bksaccount

So I looked some more and found another 2 wire yellow harness connector, labeled A in my photo, but it didn't work either when I tried it. Picture is linked. B is the SRS harness according to the service manual.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6815/wireskv3.jpg

Does anyone know where the MES is.. please help!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:07 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Have you tried B??? Does the connector you made fit into connector B?? Keep in mind, if they're really is something wrong this wont fix it.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:18 PM
sheekdude

Default Light stays on after step 5???

tried it on my 1999 acura tl and it worked up to when it was supposed to blink 2 times for the memory to be erased and nothing happens. light stays on after step 5. Any ideas???
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sheekdude
Any ideas???
Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Keep in mind, if they're really is something wrong this wont fix it.
h:
Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

^^^That about sum's it up.